UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women is dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment in Afghanistan. Staff and consultants of UN Women Afghanistan Country Office (ACO) are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners. In Afghanistan, UN Women works in four thematic areas i.e. Governance and Participation, Ending Violence Against Women, Women Economic Empowerment, and Women Peace and Security. This position contributes to the effective delivery of programmes and projects under these four interlinked areas.
In this framework, UN Women is seeking to recruit a Field Support Assistant who will assist the programme teams with the implementation of activities at the field level. The Field Support Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Field Support Associate and the overall guidance of the Operations Manager and has daily contact with the Programme managers and with functional units at the Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Report on daily basis activity progress.
- Closely work with the programme teams to facilitate the preparations and implementation of field activities, events, assessments, and support if needed admin/finance, procurement and mission travels to the field.
- Liaise with the Field offices to facilitate meetings with counterparts in the provinces.
- Events and meetings are properly scheduled and organized.
- The Field Support Assistant is responsible for on-the-ground preparations of activities in the assigned province and in coordination with the Programme units in Kabul for the implementation of the programme activities, events, and communications.
- Participates in internal and external coordination meetings representing the programme;
- Support the production of any material needed for information purposes, such as reports, articles for the web, brochures, films, etc.
- Follow up operations in the field, day to day management and delivery of the activities and facilitation of knowledge sharing.
- Provide timely data collection for reporting purpose;
- Participate in relevant trainings and workshops as required;
- Timely reports are shared with the Operations Manager.
- Support Operations Unit and coordinate with relevant Field coordinators to the preparation of procurement plans for projects;
- Review procurement requests, ensure the compliance and support Admin Team to initiate procurement procedures for office and projects equipment, supplies and services, as necessary;
- Perform Buyer role in Atlas, prepare/close Purchase Orders (POs) and contracts in and outside Atlas;
- Organize local travel including purchase of tickets, Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) calculation;
- Monitor and order stationary, office supplies, and business cards. Ensure supplies ordered are in line with sustainability and recycling policies of UN Greening the Blue;
- Submit requests for stationary including business cards and ad hoc items as needed by personnel;
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and be proactive and initiative oriented;
- Integrity, flexible approaches to work coupled with enthusiasm, commitment and energy;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-national environment;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Adequate knowledge and experience of administrative and record keeping;
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Proven networking, teambuilding, organizational and communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completed Secondary Education with specialized certification in Administration or University Degree in Business or Public Administration is required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in administration and coordination with secondary education, or minimum 3 years relevant experience in mentioned fields with bachelor degree;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems. Experience with ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft, desirable
- Fluency in English is required
- Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto is required