Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region
We need the best and brightest talent focused on Sub-Saharan African countries in order to harness the potential and innovation happening across the continent. Africa is a continent on the move, with a young population and a growing market of nearly 1.2bn people. We are committed to making the Africa regional teams into leading innovation hubs.
Yet, these vast opportunities are tempered by persistent gaps in education, health, and skills, which have Africa only reaching forty percent of its estimated potential. Moreover, conflict, food insecurity, population growth, and the disruptive forces of climate change threaten to curtail or even reverse the progress that has been made over the past decades.
In West and Central Africa, the World Bank is a leading partner with a growing portfolio of 350 projects totaling more than $38 billion in areas such as agriculture, trade and transport, energy, education, health, water and sanitation- all to support job creation, gender equality, poverty reduction, and better lives. Across the continent, the World Bank’s program has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. By 2030, about 87% of the world’s extreme poor are projected to live in Sub-Saharan Africa, so this is where our mission to end extreme poverty and to promote shared prosperity will be achieved.
Are you ready to make an impact? We are looking for dedicated professionals to join our innovative and diverse team to improve people’s lives and help countries build back better after COVID.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region:
The Human Development (HD) Practice Group (PG)
Human development is at the core of the World Bank’s strategy to improve people’s lives and support sustainable development. The Human Development research program spans education, health, social protection, and labor.
Education Global Practice
📌 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝗷𝗼𝗯 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗻𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗡𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀? 𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗿𝘂𝗶𝘁𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗚𝘂𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗡 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗣 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 ✔
⚠️ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐍𝐨𝐰: 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐓𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐣𝐨𝐛 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐍𝐎𝐖!
Education is a human right, a powerful driver of development and one of the strongest instruments for reducing poverty and improving health, gender equality, peace, and stability. It delivers large, consistent returns in terms of income and is the most important factor to ensure equality of opportunities. For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/education
Education Sector in Western and Central Africa (HAWE3)
The HAWE3 Education Unit is seeking a Lead Education Specialist /Economist to contribute to the unit’s region-wide support to improve learning outcomes, access to education and skills. The candidate would be expected to travel to the region to lead or support World Bank teams. The Lead will contribute across the region, lead complex tasks, advice Task teams, and support the Manager in ensuring effective and strategic engagements. The Lead Education Specialist/Economist will engage in a wide-range of analytical, research, and operational tasks.
The selected candidate will report to the Practice Manager.
Duties and Accountabilities
• Lead/coordinate the preparation, design and implementation of complex or large education or education-related lending operations (IPF, PforR and DPF) in IBRD, IDA or FCV countries.
• Lead quality assurance on lending and knowledge products and support Practice Manger in the overall strategic direction of the unit. Play a lead role in the unit on monitoring design and troubleshooting implementation of operational products including monitoring of the timeliness and quality of program delivery. This includes supporting the teams and the Practice Manager in upstream technical review of the unit’s tasks, including draft concept notes and PADs.
• Lead the operationalization of the Africa West Education Strategy and shape and contribute to other strategic products including regional reports and events, such as analysis on learning outcomes.
• Lead, coordinate and ensure the technical rigor of complex sectoral or multi-sectoral analytical and advisory services of the unit.
• Lead analytical and operational task for products focusing on education and contribute to cross-cutting reports within Human Development, Human Capital, or other important areas for development where education plays a role.
• Support the Practice Manager in the overall management of the unit and its resources.
• Mentor junior and new staff in the unit.
Note: This position will be based either in Yaoundé Cameroon or Accra Ghana based on the candidate’s preference.
The candidate should have:
• Educational Degree: At least a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in the field of education, economics, public policy or other relevant degree.
• At least 12 years of relevant experience including recognized technical expertise within core education areas, such as early childhood education, learning poverty, learning assessment, teacher management, training, higher education, or economic analysis for education.
• World Bank experience in at least two regions, a corporate assignment or successful and diverse operational experience supporting clients to build capacity and lead complex policy dialogue on education.
• Ability to pay attention to political economy aspects and design programs for comprehensive education reforms.
• Strong operational, technical, research, and analytical skills in education and training, including demonstrated track record of thought leadership on education and training, publications, as well as demonstrated impact of analytical work.
• Capacity to work as acting Practice Manager, including program and budget management, as well as excellent judgement to manage complex teams and situations in consultation with management.
• Proven ability and track record in guiding teams and mentoring staff technically, operationally, and behaviorally.
• Successful experience in leading cross-sectoral WBG teams, such as cross-HD and cross-PG teams.
• Track record of building trustful partnerships with external partners, including development partners, to coordinate support for clients and raise resources.
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentational skills in English. Communication skills in French preferred.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
This vacancy is archived.