Akros is a cutting-edge organization that establishes data-driven systems that improve the health and well-being of disadvantaged communities. We pride ourselves in our ground-level knowledge of the health systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions.
Akros Research is supporting a 3-year program, funded by the Mastercard Foundation and in partnership with the Africa CDC, to increase Covid19 vaccine uptake in Africa. This initiative, called Saving Lives and Livelihoods, includes multiple components and partners working to procure, distribute, and promote vaccine uptake in a safe manner. As a part of this consortium, Akros Research will support Africa Union member states in the Eastern and Southern African regions to strengthen COVID-19 vaccine safety surveillance systems.
The Consultant will support Akros Research to conduct an assessment of the data systems for reporting adverse events following immunization (AEFIs) and adverse events of special interest (AESIs) and, in coordination with the Akros team, develop recommendations for improving data systems for reporting and sharing real-time data for AEFI and AESI in Somalia. Additionally, this individual will serve as a local representative for Akros’ work. This will require attending event as needed to present on behalf of the project and performing administrative tasks required for activity implementation.
- Develop collaborative working relationships with key stakeholders (MoH, National Regulatory Authority and WHO) to ensure that the assessment of data systems for reporting AEFIs and AESIs is well planned and executed.
- Work with the Ministry of Health in collaboration with Akros Research to define the deliverables and schedule of the assessment.
- Conduct an assessment of data systems for reporting AEFIs and AESIs, in line with an approach agreed upon with the Akros team.
- Work with the Ministry of Health to create a suitable team to participate in the assessment.
- Lead the field activity to carry out the assessment in selected States and health facilities.
- Compile and disseminate the assessment findings and recommendations, under the guidance of Akros.
- Liaise with Akros Research to ensure effective and efficient program delivery and provide detailed reports to the Ministry and project leadership.
- As requested, represent Akros’ work on the Saving Lives and Livelihoods program in Somalia. This may require making presentations and/or conducting administrative tasks as required to ensure activity execution.
- Master’s degree (required) in Pharmacy, Epidemiology, Public Health or in relevant field.
- At least five years of experience supporting health programs.
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of data reporting systems
- Demonstrated experience in vaccine safety surveillance and AEFI case investigations, including development of AEFI investigation dossiers preferred.
- Strong experience working with the Government’s Ministries of Health, donors, districts and sub-district structures and managing a dynamic team.
- Self-starter who will thrive through exemplifying ownership and initiative
- Candidate should be highly productive and internally motivated
- Demonstrated ability to operate with minimal instruction in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent technical writing, quantitative and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent skills computer skills with fluency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Candidate should work well against complex and challenging delivery schedules.
- Candidate should be culturally adaptable and sensitive.
Location and Term
This position is short-term not exceeding 40 days and is located in Somalia. This position is will involve limited travel.
This position will report directly to the Country Manager, based in Lusaka, Zambia.