The GBV Specialist is located in the sub-office in Qamishli and reports to the Head of Office and will provide technical guidance and coordination support to the UNFPA programme in Northeast Syria. The incumbent will work in close collaboration with humanitarian and development agencies (UN, NGOs and INGOs), and other partner organizations to provide GBV coordination, monitor and support programme implementation as appropriate.
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2022-2025), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction. UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.UNFPA expands the possibilities for women and young people to lead healthy and productive lives. UNFPA supports countries in using population data for policies and programmes to reduce poverty and to ensure that every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, every young person is free of HIV and AIDS, and every girl and woman is treated with dignity and respect. Advancing gender equality and promoting the empowerment of women is a key programme priority of UNFPA defined in UNFPA Strategic Plan (2022-2025).
The GBV Specialist will provide technical, operational and coordination support to support the UNFPA programme and participate in the Protection sector and establishing and leading the GBV SS. You will work closely with the GBV Inter-Agency Coordinator and GBV Specialist at the country office, as well as the Deputy Representative and IPC. You will monitor programme activities, support capacity building of various stakeholders in GBV related topics, contribute to strengthening and expansion of partnerships and coordination mechanisms in Northeast Syria, and support integration of GBV programming with other UNFPA mandate areas, such as, reproductive health and youth.
Minimum of Masters’ degree in medicine, public health, international development, social sciences or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
• A minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible relevant professional experience in SRH programme implementation and service provision preferably including experience in gender/GBV programming.
• Substantive knowledge and practical experience in sexual reproductive health programming in humanitarian and post-conflict recovery settings;
• Knowledge of gender issues in development, particularly regarding SRH and GBV including relevant international human rights standards;
• Demonstrated leadership, facilitation, and team working skills and ability to establish harmonious working relations in an international and multicultural environment.
• Excellent computer literacy (windows environment, MS office applications including Word, Excel and Power-point and Internet skills)
• Experience and capacity in development and delivery of SRH training components to government, NGO, and community level participants
• Knowledge of and experience working in Arabic would be an advantage
Fluency in oral and written English is essential.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click \"Apply Now\" below.