Role & Responsibilities
Provide leadership and oversight of all aspects of the operational aspects of implementation, including programme and support. The DCD also plays a key role in external representation, legal compliance grant management, programme coordination and team leadership.
Medair has been operational in Syria since January 2015, with a Country Office based in Damascus, and 3 field bases in the following locations: Damascus (Rural Damascus, Homs and South Syria), Aleppo, Deir Ez-Zor.
The programme is active in Medair’s key sectors: Health and Nutrition (support of basic health services including infrastructure repair, equipment and capacity building), Protection (in particular support of people with physical disabilities), WASH (small- to medium-sized repairs of water and sanitation networks) as well as Shelter (rehabilitation of household shelters and distributions of NFIs).
Workplace & Working conditions
Field based position in Damascus, Syria.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2023. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Actively develop, lead and coordinate the programme teams and ensure quality and timely programme delivery. To deputise for the Country Director in their absence.
- Proactively contribute to the strategic direction and development of the Programme.
- Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant managers and in accordance with the project proposals, and ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with country teams. Implement and support the programme plans.
- Support all direct reports, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country programme strategy.
- Support the preparation and implementation of policies, procedures and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant managers and GSO staff, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the programme, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, (potential) donor representatives, and other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and GSO.
- Identification, design and advise on response (and exit) strategy and monitoring implementation of projects and the country programmes.
- Supervise the project budget management and expenditure, in collaboration with relevant managers and GSO team, ensuring that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
- Cover for the CD in their absence as Country-Office Security Focal point, to oversee the implementation of country and area-bases security plans, guidelines and manuals and ensure appropriate updates for area bases.
- Coordinate decision-making and contingency planning in the event of security incidents or threats, liaising with Area Managers and Country Director.
- Line-manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development in capacity and performance.
- Assist designated direct reports in their line management responsibilities, including recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.,
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team
- Reflect the vision and live the values of Medair at all times and especially when interacting with team members and provide them with leadership, advice and support.
- In conjunction with relevant Medair team members, review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
- Ensure the country programme is implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- At least 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Good knowledge of UN and other humanitarian actors and of current humanitarian debates and issues.
- Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff. Advanced leadership and management skills.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating. Able to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Experience of representation at national and local levels.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.