The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) and its sister agencies. Within the framework of the Unilateral Trust Fund (UTF) Technical Cooperation Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) covering the period 2019-2025 signed on 13 February 2019 between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia represented by the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture and FAO, the UTF project 'UTF/SAU/053/SAU: Promoting efficient irrigation and water productivity amongst farmers' was approved by FAO and the Saudi Irrigation Organization (SIO). The Project, developed jointly by SIO and FAO focuses directly on supporting implementation of the Saudi Irrigation Organization Corporate Strategy, which was developed within the context of the Saudi Vision 2030 and aims at strengthening the capacity of SIO to improve irrigation efficiency among small-scale farmers. The Project is expected to achieve the Outcome 'Increased adoption of innovative and efficient irrigation technologies and practices in target Saudi regions', and in turn contributing towards achieving the national development goal of improving irrigation efficiency and ensuring sustainable use of water resources in the Kingdom.
The position is located in RNE with duty station Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative for the Near East and North Africa.
Capacity development and knowledge management for coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support technical cooperation-related programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned technical cooperation-related programmes/projects; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions.
• Coordinates technical cooperation activities and programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for their implementation and leads the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies.
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analyses, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties.
• Provides advice regarding the development of policies and strategies related to technical cooperation, as well as regional, subregional and national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
📌 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝗷𝗼𝗯 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗻𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗡𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀? 𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗿𝘂𝗶𝘁𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗚𝘂𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗡 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗣 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 ✔
⚠️ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐍𝐨𝐰: 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐓𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐣𝐨𝐛 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐍𝐎𝐖!
• Advises the FAO Programme Director, liaises with the Programme Management Unit (PMU) and the MoEWA to ensure the flow of cooperation and coordination in the planning and implementation, and monitoring of progress of the project component in accordance with the project document.
• Leads comprehensive review of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing and the organization of diagnostic studies to give directions to the sustainable development of the sector.
• Identifies and promotes sustainable good agricultural practices and efficient fertilization, pruning and harvesting practices among coffee Arabica growers.
• Develops a catalogue of major coffee diseases, pests and weed in the target regions, develops and implements an integrated pest management (IPM) programme for prevention and control of coffee pests and diseases to ensure access of coffee growers to pests and diseases control services.
• Ensures the provision of technical support and pilot testing of sound irrigation systems and small rain water harvesting structures and technologies in selected areas and facilitates the development and adoption of improved post-harvest interventions covering all aspects of the Coffee production value chain.
• Establishes Coffee seed orchards, produces healthy seeds, develops and operates modern coffee nursery; identifies, produces, distributes and promotes healthy, drought and pest resistance high yielding coffee varieties seedlings.
• Establishes coffee model demonstration farm to pilot-test and promotes best cultural and agronomic practices among small farmers.
• Leads and/or supervises preparation and dissemination of various written project component outputs, e.g. background papers, sector reviews, technical reports, sections of reports and studies, manuals, guidelines and checklists and knowledge products.
• Leads and supervises preparation of quarterly and semi-annual project component progress and terminal reports and identifies lessons learnt, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and presents recommendations for improving the performance.
• Leads development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the South and the North for coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing.
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), plant production/breeding, agronomy or related field.
• Seven years of relevant experience in coffee breeding, coffee plantations management.
• Working knowledge (proficient - level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate - level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
• Relevance and extent of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.
• Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams.
• Extent and relevance of experience in development of Coffee production systems.
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams.
• Limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of Arabic is considered a strong asset.
This vacancy is archived.