Result of Service
Development and implementation of sand and dust storm programme. Work Location
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
12 months Duties and Responsibilities
📌 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝗷𝗼𝗯 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗻𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗡𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀? 𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗿𝘂𝗶𝘁𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗚𝘂𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗡 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗣 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 ✔
⚠️ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐍𝐨𝐰: 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐓𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐣𝐨𝐛 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐍𝐎𝐖!
Organizational Setting, Purpose, and Objective:
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The West Asia Office delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives. This consultancy is established at the West Asia Office within the framework of the Strategic Cooperation Agreement between UNEP and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager in UNEP West Asia Office and in coordination with National Centre for Meteorology and the respective department in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MEWA) of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Consultant will carry-out, inter alia, the following duties & responsibilities:
1. Technical advice in the implementation of the operating Sand and Dust Storm Warning Advisory and Assessment System (SDS-WAS) centre, in addition to verifying the validity of the centre’s outputs.
2. Technical guidance to the SDS-WAS Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) team and staff management, including performance review, mentoring, wellbeing, and involvement in recruitment.
3. Provide technical inputs and represent SDS-WAS at external events, providing informative presentations and networking to support the centre mission.
4. Technical advice on the Unified Model partners and promoting collaborations for key NWP system development at SDS-WAS.
5. Technical inputs on stakeholder engagements and collaborations with local universities and international groups active in the field of tropical weather/climate modelling and prediction.
6. Design and review scientific research in the field of dust storms, reports, and available data on historical and future changes in dust storms.
7. Technical contributions in the development of climate modelling at the centre and the climate projection operations.
8. Technical assessment of the current situation regarding infrastructure and applications based on the organization's direction.
9. Design training courses and prepare training plan and workshops for the employees of the Sand and Dust Storm Centre.
Expected outputs and deliverables:
1. Provide advise and guidance on the operation of the Sand and Dust Storm Centre.
2. Guide the implementation program for Sand and Dust Storm Warning Advisory and Assessment System (SDS-WAS) center.
3. Develop and conduct training courses for sand and dust storms staff.
4. Design and guide the implementation of a capacity building programme on sand and dust storms for different stakeholders.
5. Monthly progress reports.
6. A final report on sand and dust storm. Qualifications/special skills
Master’s degree in atmospheric sciences, meteorology, sand and dust storm, mathematics or physical sciences is required. PHD is an asset.
A minimum of 10 years professional experience in sand and dust storm and meteorology is required.
Experience in Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF-chem) modelling is desirable.
Demonstrated research experience in sand and dust, meteorology modelling is desirable. Languages
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
This vacancy is archived.