General Description of the Programme/GOAL
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency currently operating in 13 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
GOAL has been operating in Idleb and Northern Aleppo and neighbouring areas in Syria since 2013 across a portfolio of emergency, food security, WASH and shelter response. GOAL’s Food Security programme in North Western Syria targets up to 30,000 households with regular food aid.
GOAL is seeking a Procurement & Logistics Officer to join an established logistics & procurement team based in GOAL’s Head Quarters in Dun Laoghaire, Dublin. The role reports to the HQ Procurement Coordinator for Syria & Turkey programmes and its main objective is to support GOAL’s high value procurement activities in Ireland for the Syria country programme, which has an annual budget in excess €80 million.
Procurement for GOAL Syria is a varied and challenging, with spend categories ranging from food commodities to fuel and professional services. GOAL’s funding is mainly from institutional donors so experience with public sector procurement rules and regulations would be a distinct advantage.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct management of the HQ Procurement Coordinator, the Procurement & Logistics Officer will:
Ensure procurement procedures are followed
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with GOAL’s Logistics Manual and relevant donor related rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provide advice and guidance to in-country teams on GOAL and donor procurement and logistics policies and regulations.
- Review and address issues related to procurement procedures that arise from internal audit and reviews as well as external audits.
- Ensure all anti-terrorism & sanction checks (ATSC) are completed before contracting.
- Lead high-value tender processes for goods, services and works in line with GOAL’s Logistics Manual.
- Facilitate the evaluation process for each solicitation according to GOAL's policy.
- Creates tender documents, reports, contracts, obtain approvals and remain focal point for communication with vendors.
- Attend and input as required to all necessary meetings in Dublin, representing the HQ Logistics team as well as to all coordination meetings with teams in Syria and Turkey.
- Communicate to HQ Procurement Coordinator on any unexpected delays in procurement processes and escalate issues to mitigate risks.
- Ensure completeness and accurateness of documentation and proper filing.
Perform other work-related duties, as required.
Key Performance Objectives (12 Months)
- To develop an in-depth understanding of GOAL and donor Logistics and Procurement rules and regulations
- Complete efficient and compliant procurement processes of between 5-10 high value tender processes.
- Has developed relationships, and is regularly in contact, with all key stakeholders for the Syria programme.
- Has demonstrated strong teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Has demonstrated strong project and time management skills.
Behaviours (Values in practice)
- Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to develop and propose creative solutions, while also identifying issues which need to be escalated
- Strong project and time management skills, sound judgment, ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills; ability to work with colleagues and partners nationally and internationally
- Self-driven and results-oriented with a positive outlook
- Ability to adapt and work in a very flexible, fluid, and evolving environment.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience in procurement and/or supply chain roles preferably in the public or humanitarian sector.
- Knowledge of and experience of coordinating Invitation to Tender (ITT) processes end to end, from requirement planning to contract finalisation.
- Knowledge and experience in stock management, disposal, asset management and fleet management.
- Good overall computer skills (MS Office).
- High level of written and spoken English.
- Proven admin skills and the ability to work to deadlines.
- Effective communicator with ability to work remotely and to engage and support GOAL’s teams in the field and across functions in head office.
- Proactive problem solver who can get up to speed on GOAL’s procurement processes quickly.
- Experience in working with a range of stakeholders in developing countries.
- Relevant certification in Procurement and Supply Chain Management (IIPMM, CIPS or similar).
- Experience with or knowledge of major institutional donor regulations.
- Experience working with public or third sector procurement.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.