In coordination with the Representative, the Assistant Representative designs, develops, and manages an innovative and responsive country programme. The Assistant Representative leads the programme team, inspiring it to translate the organisational, regional and country goals into specific solutions and results.
The Assistant Representative substantively contributes to the management of UNFPA activities in the areas of population and development, reproductive health, with a special focus on Adolescents and Youth as well gender. Acting as an analyst/advisor, the Assistant Representative proactively provides the Representative strategic guidance on issues related to UNFPA’s mandate and with information on achievement of results in the implementation of UNFPA programmes.
The UNFPA South Africa Country office works within the United Nations Strategic Framework as part of the One UN Reform to ensure that population issues are central to national initiatives to promote social economic development in the context of the National Development Plan.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the UNFPA Representative, the Assistant Representative provides support to ensure programme efficiency and effectiveness of the UNFPA support to the Government of South Africa within the context of the United Nations Strategic Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Assistant Representative will also coordinate knowledge management and support partnership building initiatives. S/he acts on behalf of the Organisation and the Country Representative in their absence.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced degree/Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related social science field.
Knowledge and Experience:
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of development and/or population activities, preferably in programme/project design, appraisal and management.
• Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organizational programme objectives to national priorities and capacities.
• Knowledge of relevant international and national policies, plans and programmes in the field of population and development, reproductive health and gender.
• Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results.
• Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and programme coordination.
• Excellent communication skills, including oral and written English.
• Proficiency in current office software applications.
• Strong advocacy, negotiation and mediation skills.
• Communications and media experience is desirable.
• Familiarity with the UN system and/or experience of working with an international organization is an advantage.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click \"Apply Now\" below.