Deal with contentious matters before national courts of law as well as staff complaints before the International Labour Organisation’s Administrative Tribunal (ILOAT). Advise on matters involving legal and institutional aspects of the Organisation’s activities, on issues concerning international law (e.g. agreements, enforced recovery of air navigation charges, etc.), etc. Contribute to various projects and represent the Organisation in different fora, working groups, etc. Provide legal advice (both orally & in writing) to senior management and support them in their duty to comply with relevant laws and rules. Prepare and review working papers to ensure legal aspects have been observed. Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
- Function title: Legal Expert
- Reference: NOC-DG-2023-AD/601
- Location: Brussels - Information about living in Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations governing officials of the EUROCONTROL Agency
- Type of post: Administrator
- Job level: AD6-AD9 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Generic job title: Expert
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration of appointment: 5 Year(s) - extension or conversion of the contract is possible – see “Useful information” section
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security policies
- Directorate/Service: DG/JUR - Legal Service
- Working arrangement: Hybrid work (remote and onsite)
- Competition publication date: 23/03/2023
- Competition closing date: 20/04/2023 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the \"Useful information\" section
Within the Office of the Director General, the Legal Service deals with legal matters related to international law as well as internal law, and provides legal advise and guidance on business related activities.
Your role will be to:
- Provide legal advice on matters and issues concerning the Organisation’s internal law including the Staff, Financial and Contract Regulations and their Rules of application.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
Completed university studies of at least 4 years in Law (Bachelor and Master degrees). A post graduate degree in specific fields of law (e.g. civil servants’ law, labour law, international law, aviation law, EU law) and/or admission to practice law in any of the jurisdictions of the EUROCONTROL Member States would be an advantage. Minimum of 3 years of relevant working experience, ideally gained in an international organisation, governmental agency, law firm or aviation industry. Experience in drafting legal documents in English and French. The following would be an asset:
o Knowledge and understanding of public international law, aviation law and European law.
Analytical thinking: You analyse information and are able to identify relationships. Quality focus: You set and foster high quality standards. Communication: You are able to foster two-way communication. Influencing: You tailor your style and approach to influence others. Teamwork: You foster teamwork. High sense of diplomacy, integrity and confidentiality. Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment. Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus,integrity and team-player approach. The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular job, candidates must be proficient users of English and French at level C1 (both orally and written)*.
o Understanding of developments in Aviation/ATM in Europe.
(*) The levels relate to the Common European Framework of References for languages (CEFR).
Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. Duration of appointment: This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Internal candidates
If selected, the person will keep their current type of appointment duration (undetermined or determined).
The internal staff member with a determined contract will be offered, in principle, an appointment for 5 Year(s) with a maximum total duration of 9 years. The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade set out in this vacancy notice, or if a group of grades has been published for a job level, in principle at the basic grade of the published job level. In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the closing date of applications . Information on salary and benefits can be found on our Careers site EUROCONTROL is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equality and diversity. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce. Candidates should go to our Careers site and read the tips on how to apply.