Doctors without Borders (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation committed to two objectives: providing medical assistance to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion, natural and man-made disasters; and speaking out about the plight of the populations assisted. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. Today, MSF is present in more than 60 countries, where thousands of MSF doctors, nurses, logisticians, water-and-sanitation experts, and other medical and non-medical professionals work together to bring essential health services to people caught in humanitarian crises.
The Human Resources Manager (HRM) is responsible for managing the Head Office HR of the section and meet the MSF SA HR standards as well as implementing the 3-year HR strategy of the Human Resources Department. The HRM is responsible for drafting of the Annual Action Plans and overall responsible for delivering on the plan. The HRM is a strategic partner supporting and advising management to achieve effective people management capabilities. The HRM is also responsible for developing and ensuring that HR policies and procedures are communicated and implemented on a consistent, fair and transparent basis and providing advice to staff/management team relating to HR issues. The HRM will be responsible for providing generalist human resources support and advisory services to about 90 employees.
• Drafting Head Office HR’s annual plan in line with the Section’s 3 year HR strategy
• Planning for implementation of the Action Plan and communicating it to the management team and staff
• Annual budgeting for Head Office HR department and monitoring as well as validating of expenditures within the approved budget.
• Developing a full staff budget for MSF Southern Africa, together with the HR Director and Finance Director in line with approved financial framework.
• Quarterly reporting of Head Office HR Activities
• Global Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) – in charge of long-term compliance of the Head Office HR function
• Annual planning of recruitment, together with the relevant department/s
• Ensure that every position has updated job profiles
• In liaison with the Recruitment Team, ensure the recruitment is conducted in line with approved personnel budgets and in line with policy and procedures
• Provide advise and recommendations on grading of positions according to Hay methodology
• Develop a frame for HR Orientation for all new staff and ensuring that all staff are aware of HR policies and procedures
• Develop a staff mobility strategy in line with the MSF SA HR strategy and global MSF HR principles on staff mobility and team diversity (i.e. Implementing Field Office Project)
• In conjunction with the Regional Support Learning and Development Manager, develop an annual training plan and manage the HR training budget
• Providing training and awareness information sessions to staff on all updates in the Head Office HR regulations and legislations
• Ensuring that the Training and Development policy is implemented consistently and liaising with the Training and Development committee on MSF-funded training
• Ensure that good employment relations are maintained and applied fairly and consistently in the workplace.
• Ensuring that performance management system is in place and fully understood and used by managers and staff.
• Drafting and amending new and existing HR Policies and guidelines and conducting consultations with staff
• Providing support to supervisors or any other staff regarding HR policies and procedures, including grievances, disciplinary matters and other HR-related issues, within the legal framework of South Africa
• Preparation and consultation on Employment Equity (EE) and Skills Development (SD) Plans for the Section
• Annual reporting on EE and SD and responsible for ensuring implementation of the Plans
• Coordination and managing of the internship program together with the Department Directors & Unit Heads
• Monthly validation of the payroll (Sage VIP) and all HRIS Management
• Ensure reports and backups are made
• Responsible for audit preparation
Minimum of three to five years professional experience working in HR management
Bachelor's degree (required) in Human Resources or a related Social Science field
Sound understanding of applicable legislation of South Africa
Strong interpersonal and human relations skills
Strong Microsoft suite skills (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking and Listening skills
Decision making/problem solving skills.
The ability to act professionally at-all-times and be a trusted organizational advisor.
Ability to cope with stressful situations.
This vacancy is archived.