Finance Officer at Christoffel Blinden Mission(CBM) International
Christoffel Blinden Mission (CBM) International is an International Christian Development Organization, committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the poorest countries of the world. CBM provides grants sourced from private and institutional donors to local partners, who subsequently implement the grants on the basis of contracts signed with CBM detailing implementation, accounting, and reporting standards. In this set-up, CBM Country Offices (CO) perform control and monitoring procedures aimed at partner projects; control reports from implementing partners to CBM, including comparison with original source documents, project contract and cost plans; and ensure compliance with organizational and statutory requirements.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
1. Job Title: Finance Officer- Country Office Nigeria
Location: Abuja, Nigeria; with travels to project locations
Contract duration: 2 years
Contract type: Full-time
Contract start: As soon as possible
Reports to : The Country Finance Manager
Main objective of the role:
Proactively manage all transactions and postings for the Country Office. He/she will Create and balance accounting report periodically, coach colleagues and support partners on best practice in relation to financial compliance as well as support partners in relation to QuickBooks posting and, financial reporting principles
· Real-time input of financial transactions into the accounting system to ensure completeness of financial reports extracted from the accounting system.
· Participate in preparing and managing the financial risk of the Country office.
· Prepare the Country Office payroll, and ensure tax calculations, pension and other statutory contribution are made in line with relevant CBM internal and national regulations.
· Maintain internal accounting system and records, and ensure reliability and integrity of financial management information systems, documentation and reports.
· Ensure that internal control procedures and donor regulations are adhered to for all cash and bank disbursements, receipts, transfers and include appropriate backup of supporting documentation.
· Process all payments (bank) ensuring that proper support documents are included, and are properly approved internally before payment.
· To ensure the safe keeping of all critical financial tools such as cheque books (in all currencies), receipt books and payment vouchers.
· Ensure proper cash flow management to run the office, with the support of Country Finance Manager
· Review petty cash documents while observing approved standard procedures
· Reconcile all ledgers, to ensure that all transactions are accurately recorded and reported.
· Monitor actual versus budget, bank balances, cash balances and asset purchases, with a view to advice on any arising financial issues with potential budget holder.
· As a member of the procurement committee, ensure that any purchase, lease or sale of assets is done in accordance with procurement guidelines and receives the required approvals.
· Prepare and support the annual audit of Country Office accounts.
· Submit timely and complete reports as per agreed timetable and in line with established reporting requirements (CBM, donor & regulatory).
· In charge of proper preparation, circulation, filing and archiving of all accounting, financial and contractual documents in conformity with CBM procedures.
· Observe compliance with financial regulatory requirements including statutory accounts, audit, tax filing, pension contributions, etc..
· Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time by the Country Finance Manager.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, the incumbent will upon instruction by his superior (s), perform ad hoc activities which are either by their nature related to his normal duties or evolve from operational requirements.
Travel activities ❒ yes
· Degree in Finance and Accounting, professional qualifications (ACA or ACCA) and previous audit experience will be an advantage
· A minimum of three years’ work experience in similar field, particularly with international NGOs or international development organization
· Good understanding of accrual system of accounting
· Good working knowledge of Accounting, Financial Analysis, Budgeting Procedures and cash/bank reconciliation
· Excellent skills in the use of Microsoft Office programs, like Word, Excel, PowerPoint
· Excellent skills in any accounting software package such as ERP, QuickBooks, etc is required
· To perform all tasks in a confidential manner
· Ability to prioritize work, and meet deadlines
· Effective communication skills
· An effective team player who is also able to work independently
· Ability and willingness to learn, and to pass on information / train as required
· Computer literate, and familiar with the use of spread sheets and accounting packages
· Identification with Christian values and the mandate of the CBM
· English at professional proficiency level
· Fluent speaking in local languages is an advantage
· Demonstrated Experience in Microsoft Office Packages (Outlook, word, PowerPoint and Excel) and QuickBooks.
· Good financial reporting skills.
This vacancy is archived.