Who you are
We are seeking a full time Finance and Operations Manager, based in Zanzibar, to support the financial, human resource and administrative functions of a small but complex non-profit. This dynamic and challenging role requires an individual with exceptional attention to detail, initiative, and interest in supporting the growth of an organization dedicated to improving the quality health care for underserved communities. The Finance and Operations Manager will manage / oversee a team of 5 – 6 Finance, Operations and Logistics staff located in Dar es Salaam, Unguja and Pemba, and work closely with team members based in the United States, Dar es Salaam and Lilongwe, Malawi. This is a new position that will be responsible for all financial, operational, compliance and administrative aspects of a growing portfolio of programs in Zanzibar and Mainland Tanzania.
What you will do
You will be a key member of the D-tree team and an integral part of the Tanzanian Finance and Operations team. You will be responsible for managing all aspects of the country office of Tanzania’s accounting and financial systems to ensure adherence to D-tree policies and procedures, including proper controls are in place, facilitating smooth operational and financial processes across D-tree’s Tanzania and Zanzibar programs, and enabling accurate and timely reporting to a range of senior internal staff as well as external stakeholders of D-tree International. You will work closely with Program Directors and Program Managers as well as the global support team based in the US to lead the management of D-tree International Tanzania’s financial, accounting, and administrative tasks. You must be equally comfortable working with in person and remote teams to enhance policies, procedures, guidelines and practices to ensure proper stewardship of donor assets.
Key Responsibilities include:
· Maintain and strengthen effective fiscal policies, systems and procedures for financial management, reporting and auditing for Tanzania that fit efficiently within the broader global organization. Ensure finance guidelines, policies and procedures are followed, align with global standards, well communicated and embraced by teams across departments;
· Stay abreast of relevant laws in Tanzania and contribute to plans that enable the organization to stay compliant with all D-tree operations. This includes laws related to taxation, labor, NGO compliance, etc.;
· Provide on-the-job mentoring, coaching and capacity building for members of the Finance, Operations and Administration team in Tanzania;
· Oversee office operations in Pemba and Unguja to ensure smooth implementation of our programs and a productive work environment for our staff;
· Supervise Finance & Administration team staff members across Tanzania and Zanzibar; act as focal point between Zanzibar operations team, global support team, donors, project managers, government on all finance related matters and reporting obligations, and facilitate rapid resolution of issues
· Support roll out of new finance and operational policies and procedures among relevant staff across the organization
Management of Financial Processes
· Hands on management and backstopping of daily country-wide accounting and financial functions including: timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payroll, payables, and receivables;
· Assist global support team with month end, quarter end and year end closings by managing the process for Tanzania and Zanzibar programs;
· Serve as the Tanzania compliance officer for grant and financial reviews and audits, in close coordination with global support team;
· Oversee accurate payroll administration for local national team including monthly preparation and submission as well as timely oversight on statutory tax and social security administration for all applicable staff in Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar;
· Maintain banking and mobile money provider relations, and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements in conjunction with Program Managers;
· Perform monthly general ledger accounting reconciliations and analysis ensuring accuracy of ledger and month end reporting in accordance with GAAP, organizational policy and donor regulations;
· Ensure integrity of both electronic and physical file management (HR, accounting, inventory, consultant contracts, lease/vendor agreements) – in compliance with donor and organizational policies.
Grant and Financial Management:
§ In collaboration with Program Managers and other team managers, lead the budgeting functions for the Tanzania portfolio, including the annual country budgeting process and quarterly re-forecasting process in alignment with a multi-grant portfolio, as well as provide regular financial reporting and analysis for the country team;
§ Develop an in-depth understanding of individual programs/budgets/funding and donor requirements, and maintain strong relations with the program team. In collaboration with the global support team, analyse and clearly communicate monthly, quarterly and annual budget versus actual financial reports with the program team elevating key data points such as high burn rates and potential funding gaps;
§ Manage Tanzania cash flow and forecasts and ensure that the country office, its partners and vendors receive funds in a timely manner;
§ Assist with in-country internal and external audits when required including donor compliance audits and pre-award reviews;
§ Oversee all aspects of procurement to ensure they are aligned with D-tree’s policies. Includes: selection of appropriate competition method, negotiation of cost, issuance of purchase orders and vendor contracts, integrating purchases into inventory tracking system as appropriate, and monitoring fixed assets for Tanzania
§ Identify areas for improvement and increased efficiency, including processes and systems and work with colleagues at all levels in the organization to implement.
Human Resources, Accounting and Compliance:
· Ensure adherence to D-tree financial and HR policies/procedures as well as local employment laws;
· Stay abreast of GAAP, International Accounting Standards and NGO compliance in Tanzania and set up systems and actualize a plan that for D-tree to remain compliant;
· Provide ongoing review and assessment of current accounting and reporting systems, as well as implementation of enhanced financial strategies with the global operations team;
· Maintenance of Finance Operations Manual and supplemental guidelines in consultation with global support team to ensure alignment with organizational practices.
We are looking for a motivated individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to make our programs succeed. At D-tree we are trying to push the envelope regarding what is possible with digital health systems, while working in environments with extreme constraints. We are looking for an individual who is process and detail oriented, yet flexible and sees the big picture of what we are striving to achieve, one who is comfortable working across functional teams, and is a problem solver and a doer. The ideal candidate brings a strong track record of proven critical thinking skills and is extremely proactive and comfortable improving systems and working in a collaborative environment.
Educational qualifications and experience
· At least 5 years of financial management experience with global organization/s in a mid-level position
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (accounting, business management, public administration or related field)
· Strong Quickbooks and/or other accounting software knowledge and experience
· Experience in a project-based non-profit sector that requires financial tracking and reporting for separate donors across multiple funding sources (USG, multilateral, private foundation)
· Exposure to and in depth understanding of institutional donors’ rules and regulations in relation to program funding mechanisms, procurement, compliance, and reporting
· Experience managing and supervising staff
· CPA /ACCA qualification or equivalent a plus
· Advanced proficiency in MS Office - including Word and Excel.
· Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
This vacancy is archived.