The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project entitled “Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme - UTF/SAU/051/SAU” is the largest project under the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme. The project provides technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme. The project expected results are envisaged to be achieved through implementation of nine components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The project has strong focus on capacity development through different interventions including extension and advisory services. FAO-Saudi Arabia is seeking for high calibre specialist in Farmers’ Field School (FFS).
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Director, and the direct supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor, the FFS Specialist will work closely with the Research and Extension Technical Advisor, and will collaborate with Technical Advisors and National Professional Officers of all project’s components.
Designing FFS interventions, developing FFS modules, training FFS’s facilitators, and providing technical support to the MoEWA in designing and overseeing FFS interventions.
Tasks and responsibilities
The FFS Specialist will carry out the following tasks:
• Develop a framework / master plan to guide the design and implementation of FFS interventions in view of a rapid review of the Saudi Arabia’s context related to extension and advisory services, and in-line with relevant MoEWA’s national strategies and programmes,
• Based on the master plan, develop standard guidelines for establishing and implementing FFSs,
• Develop (or adapt) training module for the training of FFSs’ Facilitators in-line with FAO standard modules
• Train FFSs’ Facilitators, and provide them with technical guidance, mentoring and on-the-job training
• Establish and operate FFS in accordance with the aforementioned FFS guidelines
• In collaboration with relevant Technical Advisors, prepare a need-based FFSs’ curriculum on coffee, beekeeping, rose, sub-tropical fruits, livestock, cereals and Integrated Pest Management; ensuring that the FFS curriculums are based on value chain and value addition approaches, and incorporates priority topics such as productivity enhancement, sustainable land management (SLM), commercialization, gender, and other pertinent topics,
• Provide technical support and guidance to the MoEWA in designing and overseeing FFS interventions,
• Develop monitoring and evaluation framework of the FFS
• Prepare various reports
• Perform other related duties which contribute to the development of the FFS in Saudi Arabia
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University degree in Agricultural Extension, Rural Development, Agriculture, Adult Education, or any related field.
• Certified FFS’s Trainer
• At least seven (7) years of relevant work experience in participatory extension and training approaches
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and Arabic.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one country and particularly in field positions with ability to provide technical and advisory services.
• International work experience in technical cooperation projects including familiarity with results frameworks, project work planning and budgeting.
• Demonstrated strong communication skills, including the ability to convey and present sensitive issues/positions.
• Analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
This vacancy is archived.