In line with UNHCR’s regionalization and DER’s communications strategy, the Regional Bureau for Southern Africa (RBSA) is to have its own social media / English editor focal person to increase UNHCR’s visibility in the region and at the international level in media and on social media platforms. To that goal, a Communications Associate will be hired to manage and boost RBSA’s already existing social media platforms as well as to edit web stories and video scripts produced by the content team.
The person will strengthen UNHCR’s presence on social media by amplifying refugees’ voices in Southern Africa through content relating to stories of resilience and hope, integration in a new country, stories of self-reliance, with the aim to capture the attention of a wide audience, including media, donors, politicians and the general public. The Communications Associate will also publicize content material focused on human rights issues and humanitarian needs and challenges through personal stories and UNHCR’s response and/or gaps. The incumbent will exercise analytical oversight over UNHCR social media accounts, providing guidance and support to ensure the growth and strengthening of the agency’s outreach.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
▪ 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
Relevant Job Experience:
▪ Strong knowledge of all main social media platforms and on how to engage with more followers. Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud applications, especially Photoshop and Adobe Premier Pro.
▪ Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office applications. Excellent drafting skills.
▪ Studies in Communications, including social media.
▪ Social media experience minimum, writing and editing stories, preferably with the private sector, UN agency or media outlets.
▪ Excellent written English. Excellent writing ability. Editorial judgement.
▪ Creativity, strong sense of initiative, capacity and will to learn new digital technologies.
▪ Ability to deliver and work under tight deadlines.
▪ Organizational and problem-solving skills.
▪ Ability to work in an international environment.
▪ MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
▪ CO-International Media Contacts
▪ CO-Journalism (incl. print, broadcast, photography, video, layout & graphics)
▪ ER-Digital channels including social media, website, mobile, email and online advertising
▪ CO-Video production for digital platforms (including news organizations)
▪ CO-Web publishing and content management
▪ CO-Digital content production
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
▪ Organizational Awareness
▪ Teamwork & Collaboration
▪ Commitment to Continuous Learning
▪ Client & Result Orientation
▪ Analytical Thinking
▪ Innovation and Creativity
▪ Political Awareness
External candidates: External candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position and candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
This vacancy is archived.