Burundi is preparing the general census of population, housing, agriculture and livestock (RGPHAE 20222), which will take place in August 2022. The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA ), together with United Nations Agencies, as well as other technical and financial partners, supports the Government of Burundi in carrying out this large-scale statistical operation, in order to enable it to have up-to-date information, high quality, in accordance with scientifically established and internationally recognized standards and procedures, for the planning of its development.
The results of the census operation will be used for the elaboration, implementation and monitoring-evaluation of development policies in order to improve the standard of living of the population, to promote good governance and to maintain equity and equality in employment, education, health and living conditions among all population sub-groups. This exercise is not only limited to counting the number of inhabitants, but also makes it possible to measure birth/fertility, mortality and displacements, as well as demographic, economic and social characteristics.
However, it is clear that the demographic data of many countries are now obsolete and Burundi is no exception since the last census dates from 13 years ago. UNFPA aims to ensure that no country is forced to give up conducting a census of its population for technical or financial reasons. The organization provides technical support for each phase of a national census and helps to ensure that the data is widely disseminated and used for development purposes.
ToR for the recruitment of the Principal Technical Advisor of RGPHAE- Burundi
In accordance with the policies and directives of the United Nations, in particular the international standards and recommendations established for censuses, the Principal Technical Advisor's mission is to support the Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies of Burundi (ISTEEBU/Burundi) in the planning, organization and execution of all the activities provided for in the Roadmap of the 4th General Census of Population and Housing, Agriculture and Livestock in Burundi of 2022 (RGPHAE2022).
He/she will work under the general supervision of the Resident Representative of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), and under the direct supervision of the Director of the BCR, National Technical Coordinator of the RGPHAE2022 and in close consultation with the Population and Development Program Officer at UNFPA.
He/she will also liaise with other national stakeholders and partners, including donors and UN agencies.
Qualifications and Experience
Master’s Degree/ Advanced university degree in demography, statistics or other related social science disciplines - preferably PhD or equivalent professional experience;
Knowledge and Experience:
• Seven (7) years of relevant experience in the field of data collection, processing, and analysis, preferably in a country in Sub-Saharan Africa;
• Have proven experience of participating in at least one General Population and Housing Census in an African country, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa;
• Knowledge of census programming using new technologies (new UNDG guidelines) would be an asset;
• Experience in training local staff on data analysis, report writing and use of internet resources;
• Experience in disseminating census data and socio-demographic analyzes to a wide audience, as well as in motivating the use of data and results in development planning and policy issues;
• Knowledge and experience of the preparation phases of population and housing censuses in Africa;
• Have mastery of commonly used software (word processing, spreadsheets and software/data analysis: SPSS, STATA, etc.), knowledge of CS-Pro software is a plus;
• Have a good ability to write concise, precise and synthetic reports;
• Experience working with the United Nations System and demographic surveys and censuses will be an asset.
Have a good command of oral and written French; and an ability to work fluently in English.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click \"Apply Now\" below.