OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Publications Team positions PAHO as health leader, catalyst, and an authoritative source of health information in the Americas and beyond. Through its expertise and advisory role, the Publications Team supports the PAHO Publications Committee to ensure that publications bolster the Organization's strategic priorities for maximum impact. The Team collaborates with PAHO technical departments and country offices to develop multilingual high-quality, high-impact information products that respond to the needs of the Organization's audiences; ensures that publications comply with rigorous and professional editorial standards; disseminates publications through the most appropriate channels; safeguards the Organization's intellectual property; and leads open-access initiatives to expand its reach to its stakeholders.
The incumbent will hold the role of Publications Content Development Advisor and will support the Publications Advisor in coordinating the production of innovative, timely, and impactful publications, tailored to diverse audiences, with the aim of increasing the Organization’s visibility across the Region and beyond. The post will require significant interaction and coordination at all levels of the Organization, and with editors and marketing specialists in the Publications Team. The role will involve the assessment of manuscripts and guiding and making recommendations to PAHO authors and external writers. The incumbent must exercise a high degree of independent judgment, initiative, decision-making capabilities and leadership skills.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the Advisor, Publications Services (PUB), and the general guidance of the Deputy Director (DD), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
1. Provide technical guidance and oversee the development of appealing and compelling content for PAHO publications, through engagement with technical departments and country offices in order to raise the Organization’s visibility among its diverse audiences;
2. Assess internal and outsourced manuscripts, in particular of high-profile and advocacy publications, to ensure publications are well conceived, fit for purpose, and meet the needs of identified target audiences; provide guidance to authors and external writers;
3. Ensure alignment of key messages in PAHO publications with the Organization’s commitments to Member States and PAHO’s Strategic Plan;
4. Manage and oversee PUB’s roster of external writers and related skills providers, including identifying and vetting candidates and supervising their work, and recommending writers to technical units and country offices;
5. Establish a publications workflow that is driven by and responds to regional policy debate, the news cycle and topics that generate interest online; re-purpose content as needed;
6. Manage and oversee the development of position papers, key facts, and other products including branded series of these products;
7. Oversee and provide technical guidance for the development of summaries for policy-makers, in-briefs and other derivatives from high-profile publications;
📚 𝗗𝗶𝘀𝗰𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗚𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝗝𝗼𝗯 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗡 𝗶𝗻 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯! 🌍🤝 𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗿𝘂𝗶𝘁𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗚𝘂𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗡 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝗮𝗺𝗽𝗹𝗲𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗨𝗡𝗛𝗖𝗥, 𝗪𝗙𝗣, 𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗖𝗘𝗙, 𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗦𝗦, 𝗨𝗡𝗙𝗣𝗔, 𝗜𝗢𝗠 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝘀! 🌐
⚠️ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐍𝐨𝐰: 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐓𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐣𝐨𝐛 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐍𝐎𝐖!
8. Prepare drafts of forewords, executive summaries and other preliminary pages for high-profile publications and key reports and oversee and supervise the work of other authors and content writers, as needed;
9. Research, recommend and coordinate production of digital formats for the dissemination of key messages and findings across multiple channels;
10.Oversee the production of annual reports, including the coordination of external writers and engagement of technical departments and country offices in the validation and review of content;
11.Organize writing workshops at HQ and country offices to increase internal capacity in writing;
12.Research and recommend appropriate technologies and approaches in the production of content and formats for high-profile publications and their derivatives;
13.Keep abreast of the latest practices in publishing and the UN system and advise on developments that could support PAHO in its goals;
14.Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, international studies or any other field related to the functions of the post, and a master’s degree in journalism, business administration, a health or social science from a recognized university.
Desirable: Specialization in publishing or a master’s degree in public health would be an asset.
If your candidacy is retained for an interview, you will need to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited/recognized institution in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the following link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and the College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Nine years of combined national and international professional experience in content analysis, writing and editing.
Desirable: Experience with an international organization or an international nongovernmental organization, preferably in the field of public health, medicine, or international development, including supervisory experience and experience in the coordination of writers, would be an asset.
This vacancy is archived.