All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships. A significant number of WASH/Shelter activities will be carried out alongside other construction and hygiene promotion activities in order to ensure compliance with the NRC WASH/Shelter standard.
The following is a brief description of the role.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist a range of support with the implementation of the CC portfolio according to plan of action
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated
- Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team
- Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Facilitate and supervise community mobilisation, behaviour change interventions and kit distributions
- Support the establishment, training and monitoring of local WASH-Shelter management structures (water point committees, shelter committees, hygiene clubs...)
- Contribute to the needs assessment and implementation of WASH and Shelter projects
- Participate in the definition of themes and design of WASH and Shelter behaviour change tools/materials according to the target group (local authorities, management structures, beneficiary households) on each of the themes recommended by the NRC programme
- Collect and share weekly evidence/verification sources of WASH-Shelter software activities (photos, success stories, testimonials, epidemiological data)
- Monitor the procurement process of goods and materials for WASH-Shelter software activities
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Demonstrated experience of communication and community engagement (Focus group discussion, IEC techniques…)
- Holder of an HND and or Bachelor's degree in Public health, rural development and or Sociology etc..
- Demonstrated experience within technical expertise area of WASH and or Shelter with a focus on Software aspects
- Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Be willing and able to travel and work regularly on the field (outside office)
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in the NWSW
- Knowledge of the local language
- Mastery of MS Tools
- Work experience in community development is a plus
• Beginning: March 2023
• Duration of the contract: 12 months, renewable depending on the availability of funds
• Salary / Benefits: In accordance with NRC’s Salary Grid.
• Duty station: Buea The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country. Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks. NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.