Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager and Sub Regional Security Specialist in Addis Ababa, the Security Associate assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UNDP personnel in the country or in the region of assignment.
1. Assists the CSA/SA/FSCO in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country:
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation;
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the CSA/SA/FSCO;
- Communicates information on security to the heads of United Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS in the absence of the SA, as required;
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
- May be requested to provide technical assistance at SMT meetings, in the absence of the CSA/SA/FSCO.
2. Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists:
- Helps in the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required.
3. Assists the CSA/SA/FSCO in monitoring compliance with Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) established for the duty station;
- Also assists with the compilation of data required for the MOSS Self-Assessment Programme.
4. Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets, and assists in the preparation of security reports, such as the Security Incident Report, the Security Assessments and the Quarterly Incident Report.
5. Provides support in organizing and conducting training courses on security awareness and preparedness and providing security orientation to newly assigned staff members.
- Conducts security briefings, as required.
6. Provides general administrative assistance to the CSA/SA/FSCO:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities;
- Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings.
7. Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the CSA/SA/FSCO:
- Conducts security evaluations and provides advice on security measures for the residences (Minimum Operating Residential Security Standards - MORSS) of UN staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
- Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences;
- Administers a pass and ID system;
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work;
- Adapts deliverables to meet client needs.
- Ability to persuade others to follow;
- Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction;
- Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform;
- Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement;
- Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value.
Planning and Organizing
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision;
- Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations;
- Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
Security Risk Management
- Ability to assess threats and risks, identify and oversee implementation of mitigation measures, including ability to design and test security plans.
- Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Secondary education;
- University Degree desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work. Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
- Proficiency in Portuguese;
- Working knowledge in English.
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to travel;
- Physically fit.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension