Open to Internal and External Candidates**
Position Title : Senior Project Assistant (Construction/Renewable energy Supervisor)
Duty Station : Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
Classification : G7
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term with possibility of extension.
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : May 20, 2021
Reference Code : VN 2021/010 GT
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission, overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Subregional Infrastructure Coordinator and the second supervision of the project manager, the incumbent will be responsible to supervise the implementation of construction projects in Guatemala.
Core Functions/ Responsibilities
- Monitor the implementation of different construction projects in Guatemala, with specialized focus in the Community Small Scale Infrastructure and Reception Centres, as part of the activities included in the project for Economic Reintegration Assistance to Potential and Returned Migrants Youth.
- Participate in the design of a system for planning and monitoring the construction of all units and locations. This includes specific needs / use of space, construction and environmentally friendly practices. The system should factor in preparation of site plans, layout, plotting, cost estimations, Bill of Quantities (BoQs), budget analysis, land certificates and other legal requirements under the law of G.uatemala, and where applicable, internationally accepted building codes.
- In coordination with Renewable Energy/Construction Engineer Specialist, support and assist in the revision of technical documents and reports preparation for the implementation of renewable energy activities.
- Liaison with Government technical staff to attain necessary approvals/permits and for any technical assistance and reporting that may be required on the progress of the Construction Projects in Guatemala.
- Create accurate and concise weekly and monthly Construction Reports for both external and internal use. Ensure that all reports, including donor reports and other supporting documents related to construction activities in Guatemala are accurate and submitted in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with the Community Outreach team, the pertinent surveys, assessment of needs and feasibility analysis for the development of construction projects in Guatemala.
- In coordination with the Subregional Infrastructure Coordinator, coordinate and monitor the work of designers and construction subcontractors’ staff in all location. Document the close-out inspection for reconstruction works including the relevant documentation is completed prior to handover and full payment of the contractor being made.
- Coordinate the preparation of the Construction Project’s Maintenance manuals, for the various sites intervened. In close coordination with the Subregional Infrastructure Coordinator, develop general procedures and technical guidelines for the sustainability of the sites.
- Interface with local authorities concerning any problems generated during implementation of the project and participate in relevant forums as requested.
- Provide technical assistance to peers, architects and designers assigned to IOM Infrastructure Unit, for facilitating trainings and workshops aiming at continuous improvements and coherence of regional migration assistance workflows, reception centres, community projects and related.
- Undertake other duties requested by the Mission that may be assigned from time to time which are commensurate to the position.
Required Qualifications and experience
· Experience in IOM construction projects, procurement procedures, budget monitoring, and reporting;
· Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet for project controlling and analysis;
· Experience in the usage of engineering and architectural software like AutoCAD 2D, MS Project, Revit; OPUS 16 and PRIMAVERA are advantageous
· Experience supervising the development and implementation of different construction and control of projects related to new buildings of two or more levels, renovations, environmental and mitigation.
· Experience in construction reporting (narrative, infographic and budget) for different stakeholders. Good drafting ability and communication skills, both oral and written to produce reports.
Education and experience
· University degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture with at least 5 years’ experience in infrastructure planning and construction, including at least one year of experience with an International Organization and familiarity with international and local building codes.
· Certification and/or diploma in Project Management, Environmental Assessment is advantageous.
· Knowledge of National and International Building Codes.
· Knowledge of CCCM and Sphere Standards.
· Ability to manage staff, plan and organize workflows, as well as the ability to establish priorities and undertake assigned tasks with minimum supervision.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
· Able to work independently covering multiple site locations in the field and provide results in short timeframes.
· Knowledge of engineering tools to delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
· Knowledge of project management (PMI Methodology) tools to performance, administration and controlling infrastructure projects.
· Capacity to coordinate activities and works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
· AutoCAD, Advance Microsoft Office, Advance Microsoft Project,
Fluency in Spanish and English (Oral and Written)
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2*
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.