Duty Station : Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, six months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30 June 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
In support of the Embassy and Consulate of the Republic of Korea (ROK) in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) will provide administrative visa-related services, aimed at making the visa application process more timely and convenient.
Under the administrative supervision of the Chief of Mission and the programmatic supervision of the Project Manager in IOM Headquarters (HQ), the successful candidate will provide guidance to and oversight of all the staff, for day-to-day operations of the Korea Visa Application Centre (KVAC) operated by IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide effective daily supervision, oversight and management of all KVAC activities and staff, ensuring dignified, efficient and cost-effective service delivery with integrity, in line with all contractual obligations of the Ministry of Justice of the ROK and with all IOM rules and regulations and KVAC operating procedures.
Keep up to date and maintain understanding of contract conditions to facilitate successful inspection results from audits conducted by the Korean Diplomatic Representation in Ulaanbaatar and by representatives of the Ministry of Justice. Propose actions to address deficiencies in a timely, efficient and cost-effective manner.
Maintain close liaison and coordination with the relevant Embassy of ROK in Ulaanbaatar and with IOM relevant teams (finance, ICT, HR, evaluation) in HQ, Ulaanbaatar, and China: collect and report feedback, issues, challenges, appreciations; conduct day to day communication and build of productive and positive relations.
Evaluate work flow and analyze processing times in the KVAC; evaluate applicants’ feedback and the flow of applicants on premises; plan staffing to include temporary seasonal staff; report to the Project Manager on necessary action for staffing changes.
Monitor and report on all administrative aspects of the KVAC: facilities, ICT solutions, financial monitoring, and cash management. Prepare caseload projections and plans for program and administrative changes and provide all reports to the Project Manager.
Draft regular and ad-hoc reports for the Embassy of ROK in Ulaanbaatar and the Project Manager, to include consolidated reports on daily applications count by category, collected visa fees, incidents, complaints, etc. Provide a monthly summary to the Embassy of ROK and the ROK Ministry of Justice, including feedback analysis, contact-centre report, applications count, etc.
Provide team capacity building: training, testing, and evaluation of KVAC Visa Support Assistants and Supervisors on visa rules, visa policies, IOM regulations and policies; analyze training needs and create and implement plans based on feedback, sample checks and spot-check results.
Ensure programme integrity by supervising compliance of the KVAC team members with IOM Standards of Conduct; report on internal investigations where required.
Arrange briefings, tours and other related activities for visitors, missions and other relevant stakeholders to the IOM and KVAC premises.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Law, Migration Studies, Social Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing a large team;
• Experience in migrant-related programmes OR visa related services;
• Experience in customer service;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and national and international institutions.
• Working and living experience in Korea as advantage.
• Good organizational skills.
• Efficient problem solving skills.
• Effective communication skills.
• Good negotiation skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and Korean is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
This vacancy is archived.