UNDP works in around 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
UNDP is working to strengthen new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction and climate change. We support countries' efforts to achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals, which will guide global development priorities through 2030. The key 2030 Agenda principle of leaving no one behind and stamping out inequality is at the core of everything we do.
UNDP focuses on helping countries build and share solutions in three main areas:
- Sustainable development
- Democratic governance and peace-building
- Climate and disaster resilience
The internship will be within the UNDP-China Team for China South-South Facility, which specifically focuses on engaging with China in its cooperation with countries and partners outside of China. Over the past decades, China has been increasingly engaging in international development and cooperating as part of China's wider approach to South-South cooperation - increasingly, this cooperation also involves multilateral development agencies. Here, UNDP has been at the forefront since signing a MoU with China in 2010 to expand the on-going domestic engagement of UNDP in China to also increasingly work together with Chinese institutions as part of China's global engagement. As a result, there are growing interests among general public, research institutes, and media outlets to better understand and get involved in issues related China’s development cooperation, including the role of multilateral organizations in development.
The China South-South Facility of UNDP China office is hiring an intern to provide programme support to both South-South Cooperation Assistant Fund (SSCAF) project and National Implementing Management (NIM) programmes/projects and work in close liaison with other teams within the UNDP China office, with international and local partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Data collection, follow up and analysis on international development and South-South cooperation related issues
- Research, analysis and support to UNDP management and programme teams on SSC issues
- Facilitation of knowledge building on SSC issues, including translation of documents from Chinese to English and English to Chinese
- Preparation of briefs and reports for a range of audiences, including senior management, on specific topics with emphasis on SSC issues
- Assisting in the organization of meetings, events and seminars, and taking notes for the team when requested
- Other duties as assigned, including cross team administrative tasks when required
- Interns must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan and medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. Any cost arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern.
- The stipend will be paid monthly. Interns will have 1.5 days of leave per month.
- Interns are responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed; Cost and arrangement for travel, visas, passports, accommodations and living expenses are the responsibility of the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or the intern.
- Intern must not apply for or be appointed to a position that should be encumbered by a staff number during the period of their internship. Interns are expected to fulfill the terms of their internships. Therefore, internship must not be foreshortened for the purposes of allowing an intern to apply for a position
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
- Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems in south-south cooperation area
- Ability to develop sources and conduct data collection using various methods
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, and work under pressure
- Showing pride in work and in achievements
- Showing persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges
- Speaking and writing clearly and effectively in both Chinese and English
- Communicating effectively with team members
- Adjusting language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrating openness in sharing information and coordination
- Working collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Willing to learn from others and positively share ideas
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Experience
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Enrolled in a Master's or in a Ph.D. programme
- In the final year of a Bachelor’s programme;
- Or within one year after graduation from a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. programme,
- Or be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program
- Majors in Social Sciences, Economics, Statistics, Management or other related fields. Advanced university degree is an asset.
- Experience in programme/project monitoring and evaluation would be an advantage.
Please submit your application with below documents in one PDF,For people who apply from UNDP Jobs, please note that the system will not accept the uploading of more than one document so please merge or scan all your documents into one prior to uploading.
- CV and letter of motivation
- Copy of school transcript
- Indicate if you will be financially supported by any institution or programme, such as a university, government, foundation or scholarship programme, and the financial amount.
*Candidate who didn’t submitted required document will not be under considerate of the selection processes.
Language and Skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Mandarin.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software package (MS Excel, Word, etc.) and web management system.
- Proficient in data maintenance and report analysis.