Videre exposes human rights abuses and holds perpetrators to account. We work directly with oppressed communities in hard-to-access areas, equipping networks of local activists and community leaders with the technology and training to safely capture compelling visual evidence of political violence, human rights violations and systemic abuses. We then put this evidence in the hands of those that can secure accountability and justice.
Videre’s Research Department serves to guide new and existing operations by gathering, analysing and disseminating information. Our goal is to produce credible, targeted, verified evidence which contributes to accountability and insight into trends. We provide proactive and reactive research support to projects; explore and assess new issues; build partnerships with other organisations; and share tools and techniques with the wider team.
Videre is recruiting for an inquisitive and thorough researcher with open source and social media research aptitude, language skills, and ability to train others. This position will review and adopt best practices for open source and social media research, apply this knowledge in specific investigations, and share skills with the organisation, while providing direct research support to at least one project.
Responsible to: Director of Research. Key Relationships: Deputy Director of Research, Operations Coordinators, Cataloguers.
Location and Remote Working: Based in London HQ but we will consider remote working applications for exceptional candidates with strong research, language and/or training skills who are based within +/- 5 hours of GMT. Candidates based near London would move to hybrid working once the COVID-19 situation allows.
Salary: £28,000-32,000 if based in London, otherwise variable depending on location.
Review established and emerging open source and social media research methods, tools and protocols, and where appropriate lead their adoption by the organisation.
Conduct targeted open source and social media investigations, and securely archive relevant online materials for long-term storage and future access.
Assist project teams with verification of locally-sourced videos.
Prepare insightful and engaging investigative products for external and internal audiences.
Identify relevant social media platforms for specific project countries, and assist colleagues with secure setup of user accounts and conduct of investigations.
Train colleagues in open source and social media research across commonly-used platforms.
Ensure all social media research follows security and ethical best practices.
Keep up to date with political, human rights and thematic developments in relevant project countries, and brief other staff members as required.
Review visual and non-visual project materials, add relevant content to internal database, and analyse existing content for patterns or knowledge gaps.
Communicate with project teams and other departments to ensure that research is targeted for generating positive impact. Actively participate in team discussions and planning processes.
Identify relevant individuals and groups that are potential partners or resources for the organisation, and where appropriate and safe, initiate contact and share information.
Skills, Experience and Characteristics
· Integrity, and support of Videre’s values, ethical standards, vision, mission and strategic goals.
· Sensitivity and respect for differences in race, ethnicity, gender, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression. Ability to work across cultures and timezones.
· Proven proficiency in open source and social media investigative and verification techniques across multiple platforms, and use of collaborative databases for research, storage and analysis.
· Professional proficiency in English and at least one additional language. We are especially keen for languages spoken in sub-Saharan Africa or Southeast Asia, or French or Spanish.
· Understanding of security and ethical considerations of social media research.
· Commitment to accuracy, objectivity and attention to detail.
· Ability to plan, prioritise and organise workload in order to accurately complete multiple tasks while considering special assignments, interruptions, deadlines and available resources.
· Excellent written and spoken communication, whether briefing, training, providing constructive feedback or note-taking. Ability to present insights in a manner appropriate to a given audience.
· Inquisitive and analytical mindset. Media literacy and understanding of bias, including algorithmic.
· Proficiency in digital security including encryption, secure communications and privacy tools.
· Working knowledge of geographic mapping tools (such as Google Earth or QGIS and web-based tools) and their use in social media research and video geolocation.
· Strategic thinking and ability to see the ‘big picture’ – taking a global overview of complex issues.
· Decision-making ability to resolve problems in line with the organisation’s goals and values.
· Working knowledge of relevant programming languages (such as Python or R) and their use in open source and social media research.
· Understanding of the Berkeley Protocol and its implementation in online investigations.
· Undergraduate/Bachelor’s degree desired but not obligatory.
This vacancy is archived.