- Undertake full assessment of the community safety outreach and community sensitization initiatives implemented by various entities in support to MoIAs community police activity
- Undertake consultations and assessments on culturally acceptable and sensible community safety and security approaches that takes into consideration Afghanistan context
- Support MoIA/PeM in the development of comprehensive strategy for safety outreach and community sensitization initiatives in support to project objectives
- Support development of comprehensive two-year safety outreach plan including a monitoring framework based on developed CoP and CS framework and UNDP’s comparative advantages
- Participate in PeM monthly consultation meetings, seminars, and other exercises to develop plans/programs for implementation of community outreach and awareness activities and strengthen capacity of relevant MoIA department
- Maintain extensive knowledge of similar community outreach initiative undertaken to support safety and security, identify synergies, and discuss potential partnership
- In close coordination with MoIA counterparts work towards the implementation of Project AWP and RRF
- Provide technical guidance and recommendations on implementation of community safety outreach and community sensitization and development activities within the AWP
- Support the publications of safety outreach materials through proper review of existing materials,
- Support training and capacity development initiatives for the designated MoIA staffs, Community members, PeM Councils to undertake safety outreach and community safety and security activities
- Engage more female police officers through Women Police Councils in community safety outreach and community safety activities
- Participate in relevant Working Groups to coordinate and collaborate in an effort to unify the supports for MoIA led Community police initiatives
- Provide support to MoIA in its public outreach and information campaigns to generate public supports for the initiatives
- Liaise regularly and works closely with project communication officer and MOIA communication department
- Draft concise weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports including achievements particularly in areas of community awareness and community outreach activities
- Develops, implements; regularly monitors and evaluates projects community outreach and safety security activities
- Review and analyze proposals and concept to be submitted to partners, donors and counterparts in the area of police service delivery and community outreach
- Working closely with UNDP CO communication team, drafting and publishing success stories
- Drafting monthly newsletters on community safety and security outreach initiative
- Contribute to the preparation of consolidated monthly, quarterly and annual analytical results-based progress reports in accordance with standards of UNDP
- Drafts formal proposals identifying areas of needs, including technical equipment, community policing training and/or specialist assistance
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, internet, PP, database packages, etc. Experience with web-based management systems
- Ability to work with a wide cross-section of partners including Government, donors, I/NGOs and community-based organizations
- A team player and self-starter able to inspire and influence action
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, resourceful and energetic approach to problem solving. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and strong organizational and time management skills
- Capacity to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines
- Demonstrated behavior of professional and personal ethics, transparency and openness
- Willingness to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders, especially with primary stakeholders.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Sound judgment with proven ability to work effectively under minimum supervision
- Ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner
- Knowledge and expertise in making presentations
- Master’s degree in community development, communication, social sciences or related field is required or a Bachelor’s degree with 2 additional qualifying years may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Three (3) years of relevant work experience in community outreach, community development, and communication is required
- Experience working with civil societies/NGOs and community councils and other government institutions is an asset
- Experience working with youth groups and women’s groups is an asset
- Experience working on gender issues, or working on women’s rights is an asset
- Experience in working with international agencies, NGOs, local Government in post conflict scenarios involving community participation, will be an asset
- Knowledge of best practices regarding community involvement in solving safety problemsKnowledge and understanding of Afghan society and issues in Afghanistan
- Solid experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office incl. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 09 Month with Possibility of Extension