Enabel is currently developing a new cooperation program for Palestine. This program will on the one hand build on the successes of governmental cooperation over the past decade and on the other hand also provide a response to the Palestinian and global challenges of this decade.
Belgian development cooperation has supported the Palestinian territories since 1993 - initially through delegated cooperation. Direct governmental cooperation was started in 1997 for an amount of 15 million euros and the fourth and provisionally last agreement (2011) evolved to 71.6 million euros (2012-2015). This program was extended in December 2020 with an additional budget of 10 million euros.
The new portfolio is proposed for a period of 5 years (2022-2026). Signing is planned for the end of 2021, so that implementation can start in early 2022. An indicative budget of 70 million euros is proposed for the 2022-26 program.
The new portfolio, which has the motto “Empowered youth in an environmentally sustainable Palestine”, will focus on 2 pillars: young people and their broad development and, on the other hand, the environment - in its broad sense. By doing so, the program wants to make maximum use of the future prospects of young people, in terms of broad training, education and employment - with a strong gender dimension and a focus on the most vulnerable. In addition to this, the new program wants to go for sustainability, environmentally friendly solutions, climate adaptation and mitigation.
As part of the elaboration of the new program, we are looking for a project manager who will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the “Youth Empowerment” pillar of the new governmental program - the overall objective of which will be that “Young people in Palestine are developing in into active and critical citizens, ready for the local and global challenges, through improved education, training, guidance and access to work.”
Main duties of the Project Manager Youth Empowerment:
· You ensure that relevant results information is available for monitoring and evaluation in order to allow monitoring of performance, decision-making, learning and reporting.
Note: international staff working for Enabel in Palestine must be of Belgian nationality in order to obtain a working permit as staff member of the Belgian Consulate-General.
Required qualifications and experience
· You hold a Master’s degree;
· At least 5 years of relevant experience in steering international development projects;
· At least 5 years of relevant experience in youth empowerment in at least two of the following areas of expertise: education, protection, skills development, employment, entrepreneurship and business development;
· A relevant professional experience outside your country of origin;
· An experience as team manager;
· Experience in multiple relevant projects is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge
· Good knowledge of aspects of international development (context, challenges, application, partners, functioning…);
· In-depth knowledge of project management methodologies ;
· Acquaintance with the different dimensions of youth empowerment and thorough knowledge of at least two of the specific areas of expertise ; education, protection, skills development, employment, entrepreneurship and business development;
· Monitoring and evaluation competences ;
· Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
· Comfortable with leading groups dynamics and inter-culturalism;
· Pro-active results-oriented management ;
· You are fluent in spoken and written French and/or Dutch. Considering the working language of Palestine and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of English is required. Notions of Arabic is an asset.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
· A fascinating job in a challenging international environment.
· A contract of 48 months with possible extension up to maximum 60 months. You are based in Jerusalem. You mainly work in Ramallah with regular travels inside the country.
· A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 6), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
· In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The various amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Following this recruitment procedure, a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
This vacancy is archived.