Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been operating in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) since August 2007, with a staff of around 400 people working in North and South Kivu, with the overall country goal to support vulnerable communities through crises, while fostering programs that build resilience and promote long-term change. Mercy Corps’ national office is in Goma with sub-field offices in North Kivu, South Kivu and Ituri. Mercy Corps’ key programming areas include a combination of longer-term development and immediate humanitarian response programs in order to: 1) Improve water service delivery and ensuring equitable access to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene services, in urban and rural areas; 2) Improve food security and nutrition; 3) Promote diversified livelihoods, economic recovery and development. Mercy Corps DRC’s humanitarian programs aim specifically to assist populations affected by the conflict and crisis in Eastern Congo. With funding from humanitarian donors including BHA, FCDO and ECHO, the humanitarian portfolio continues to expand in order to provide multi-purpose cash assistance and emergency WASH to displaced and host populations. l Mercy Corps interventions in DRC are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
STRATEGY & VISION
● Developing procurement strategies that are inventive and cost effective
● Analyze procurement teams set up in every office and propose adjustments and recruit and train staff accordingly to guarantee a high performing and professional team is in place.
● Develop the management tools necessary to make optimal decisions
● Provide senior leadership with the data and analysis necessary to make optimal decisions
● Analyze and propose change or adaptations to procedures base on needs and risk management
● Define and provide strategic orientation to procurement team
● Promote cross-department collaboration and communication between Procurement, other operations teams, programs, HR/Admin and other teams.
● Foster a solutions-oriented and service-oriented, collaborative team culture.
● Coordinate and facilitate MC DRC procurement activities.
● Ensure that the procurement department supports programs efficiently and compliantly.
● Understand MC procurement policies and procedures. Provide training to staff on these policies, within the procurement team and across other teams.
● Assist Programs in regular procurement planning and review meetings.
● Actively participate in inter-department coordination meetings
● Assist staff as needed on timely completion of purchase requests and other documentation.
● Oversee the gathering of quotations and bids from the market for PR – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
● Interact with suppliers and vendors for negotiating to secure advantageous terms, in coordination with the Program & Operations.
● Actively participate in program kick-off and regular review meetings
● Coordinate with programs to ensure procurement plans are in place and regularly reviewed
● Provide support to programs in infrastructure contracts’ management and in grants close out process
● Ensure that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
● Prepare and share regular updates on procurement status with programs and operations
● Ensure prices catalog is kept up to date and share with programs to support new business development efforts
● Coordinate with the Warehouse on delivery of items including completion of Goods Received Notes, storage of items and transfer of items to field sites.
● Support programs in pre-qualification process for construction companies
● She/he serves as the primary focal person for all procurements
● The Procurement Manager will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
● Provide direct support to and ensure that all MC DRC offices benefit high standards support in procurement
● Ensure that procurement Team and all relevant employees have correctly assimilated and applied the new field Procurement Policies and procedure FP3
● Ensure the roll out of all news procurement policies and SOP
● Oversees all in-country and international procurements
● Assist Program and operational personnel in regular procurement planning meeting
● Work closely with program lead; Head of Operations and Head of Logistics to develop policies, procedures and set up better adapted to procurement for emergency programs.
● Lead the implementation of market surveys
● Ensure market surveys conducted regularly to ensure prices’ list for the commonly-purchased items are kept up to date
● Ensure a proper filing system both hard and soft are in place and is in line with Mercy Corps standards
● Ensure Purchase Requests Masterlists monthly reports both Ongoing PR Masterlist and Completed PR Masterlist are prepared, reviewed and submitted on time.
● Advice and supports programs in preparing modified procurement process requests specially for emergency programs
● Provide technical guidance and support to the procurement team in high value tender process
● Reviews all the pre-solicitation and solicitation documents for all tenders processes (at national and international level)
● Liaises with HQ procurement team to diligent all international procurement
● Represents Mercy Corps at inter-agency logistics cluster meetings