All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
NRC Myanmar had begun to embark on a programme of upgrading its support functions in 2021 when the working situation of the team radically changed. The position is currently being caretaken by an emergency response manager. Now NRC Myanmar would like to recruit a phenomenal, practical problem solver to take on the position.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in field support systems, especially logistics and HR, but more importantly practical experience of using support to deliver and improve high quality programmes. They will also be good at making linkages with colleagues working on risk and compliance and health, safety and security.
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Head of Support position is to ensure that all support functions are providing high quality and efficient support programme implementation.
The following is a brief description of the role.
- Line management for support managers such as Finance, HR & Admin and Logistics (incl. ICT)
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements
- Facilitate the support functions strategic input to the development of the Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Provide input on operational support in proposal development, and to coordinate and align operational support with programme plans
- Responsible for ensuring quality and timely support to project implementation.
- Facilitate the Master Support Budget, country level budgets and BPO development, including assess and monitor costs and resource allocation needs
- Responsible for the strategic development of country structures, technical systems, human resource capacity and allocation
- Responsible for development of new country specific technical SOPs, guidelines and tools
- Responsible for organisational learning related to programme support
- Responsible for technical capacity building of support staff
- Work with HSS, liaison with authorities and risk and compliance to improve overarching organisational systems and implementation.
- Formulate and lead organizational support development and change management strategy.
- Build capacity of team on technical issues and cross-department collaboration for organisational objectives.
- Create a supportive and enabling environment for staff to develop, learn and take on greater responsibility.
- Ensure support team competency (skills and knowledge) in the implementation of cash-based interventions and market based programmes during emergency, recovery and protracted contexts.
- Provide an enabling environment for the implementation of cash-based interventions, including multi-purpose cash assistance, emergency cash responses.
- Ensure high quality and efficient donor budgets are prepared to ensure NRC remains competitive in a changing donor environment
- Support the roll out of organisational initiatives
- Ensure that NRC Myanmar operates within all relevant national laws, and complies with all regulations
- Deputize for the CD when requested
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Minimum 7 years experience from a senior management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Allocation of resources and costs expertise
- Knowledge of market analysis and cash-based interventions
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Myanmar
- Knowledge of the official local language (Burmese) or other national languages
- Experience of working with bureaucratic impediments and sanctions regimes.
- Experience from Office/Operations Management
- Behavioural competencies
- Strategic thinking
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Reports to: Country Director
- Duty station: Yangon, Myanmar (unaccompanied)
- Travel: 20% in Country
- Duration and type of contract: Fixed term, 2 years