About the job
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.The Finance Officer is responsible for day today financial activities of the area office, review budget/budget revisions and other duties as per the JD and is the lead Focal point in terms of the day to day financial activities of the area.
Accounting / Finance
• Review Area office payment documentation for accuracy and compliance with DRC/Donor guideline procedures and payment check list.
• Process all payments with in two days and share the transfer letters with the CO finance for release of payments.
• Ensure the supporting documents are scanned on monthly basis and forwarded to Country Finance Specialist as per the provided deadlines.
• Create cost and PO Invoices in DRC Dynamics ensuring that all the necessary supporting documents are fully approved and attached in DRC Dynamics.
• Create and review Journals (Project Expense, General and Vendor Payment Journals) for completeness and accuracy before forwarded to Country Office (CO) for posting.
• Ensure weekly cash forecast is done for the area office and bi-weekly cash request is submitted through DRC Dynamics for the funds required to run the program activities.
• Ensure all closing projects are reviewed and cleanup is done within the liquidation period before the final reports are prepared.
• Support budget development for new proposals and ensure support cost are adequately budgeted
• Follow up pending invoices in the system and inform budget holders on the status of the invoices.
• Review staff expense reports and process payments for staff claims
• Review and post partner expenses in DRC Dynamics on monthly basis.
• Organize monthly BFU meetings and circulate meeting minutes
• Monitor the liquidity levels of the field offices and ensure that the cash requests are done on time.
• Monthly national staff salary allocation in DRC Dynamics ensuring that proper cost allocation is followed across grants.
• Review monthly payroll and ensure payment is done within the same month.
• Coordinate with the area finance staff to ensure adequate liquidity request is prepared, compiled, and forwarded to Finance Specialist.
• Review outstanding advances and follow up with the relevant staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
• Ensure monthly closure is done for the area office as per the policy ensuring signed bank reconciliations are submitted to CO Finance.
• Oversees and support the work of Finance Assistant in Bossaso.
• Train new finance and non-finance staff regarding finance procedures and DRC Dynamics finance module.
• Any other duties assigned by your supervisor.
Budgeting and Reporting
• Support to Develop Master Budgets for DRC area office and ensure the data is accurate.
• Conduct Monthly BFU/TDL reviews meeting & monitor actual spending and advice Area Manager and Program team to avoid overspending and plan on underspending.
• Ensure closing projects are reviewed and clean-up is done before financial reporting
• Support in preparing and updating partner financial reporting.
• Ensure the TDLs are cleaned in preparation for donor reporting and inform Country Finance Specialists
• Ensure partner financial reports are received on monthly basis, review all supporting documents, all partner vouchers are scanned and uploaded on DRC Dynamics on timely manner.
• Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
• Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during review of scanned vouchers.
• Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
• Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
• Support the finance team leader in internal and external audit process.
Local Tax management
• Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC follows the same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
• Coordinate with Finance Team Leader and HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This includes taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
• Support the Finance Team Leader in coordinating with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
DRC Dynamics ERP System:
• Ensure that processes under supervision are handled properly via DRC Dynamics
• Ensure ERP finance functionalities are properly used by concerned staff and team has proper knowledge and access to information to use DRC Dynamics
• Apply reports and data analytics from ERP system to improve financial performance in the area office Review cost invoices and share with AM for approval
• Review instalment payments on DRC dynamics
• Review all journals and share with country FS for further review and posting.
• In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
• Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in financial/accounting field
• University Degree in Finance/Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent professional qualification
• Competence in providing technical guidance and training.
• Experience in working in NGOs
• Excellent computer skills – proficiency in Excel spreadsheet and able to work with PowerPoint and Word.
• Good communication skills and full professional proficiency in English.
• Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines, self-motivated and proactive.
• Honest and trustworthy person.
• English fluent with the capacity to produce well-written products for formal reporting and communication
• Honest, hardworking, and independent
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: One Year
Band: This position is graded as Band H-Non-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
Designation of Duty Station: Baidoa
Start date:20 December 2022
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 7th December 2022
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
This vacancy is archived.