Position Title: Consultant (Statistician and Data Analyst)
Duty Station: Gaziantep, Turkey**
Type of Appointment: Consultancy (3 month) **
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible**
Closing Date: January 21, 2022
Requisition: February 4, 2022**
Following the adoption of the 2014 UN Security Council Resolution 2165, UN agencies and their partners were authorized to provide Cross-Border humanitarian relief inside of Syria. With the support of our donors, IOM provides assistance to Syrians through cross border operations from Turkey. The Cross-Border initiative regularly collects and verifies data on vulnerable population groups and their accessibility to services to address priority needs, and the types of required humanitarian interventions. Eight years into the crisis, the humanitarian situation has continued to deteriorate in Syria with intensified fighting, high levels of violence, and on-going displacements across the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of office and direct supervision of Senior Programme Coordinator, the consultant will be responsible for data mining techniques and research skill to support all stages of national scale household surveys: sampling, data collection and quality, analysis and reporting. Likewise, to extent lessons learnt in the household surveys to other program periodical data products
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Support in the development of complex survey and research samples at national scale and its weighting
Establish data quality checks to ensure data coherency, outlier handling, missing data, similarity patterns and other quality control measures.
Review and analyze data from producing summary tables, crosstabulation and support with hypothesis testing.
Support on the analysis of collected data and of big data using R, contributing to automation, reproducibility and timely release of analysis, visualizations, and reports.
Contribute in the identification of relevant secondary analysis, supporting from data wrangling and merging to identification of indicators and modelling.
Provide regular information dissemination/ statistical updates to reporting team and other colleagues on statistical nuances of sampling, data collection and analysis.
Contribute to the maintenance and development of the in house developed R package for the program data analysis
Identify procedures and techniques identify in household survey and assess its adaptation and implementation to other program data products
Perform such other duties as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· Master’s degree, post-graduate, professional certificate or other specializations in statistics, social sciences, economics, computer science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience.
· University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
· Minimum of two years of experience as Data Analyst or quantitative research. Previous experience with design, implementation and reporting of household surveys in these setting is an advantage.
· Ability to design and implement statistical data quality procedures around new data sources.
· Excellent analytical, methodical thinking and problem-solving ability, innovative at creating solutions and technical skills in data science.
· Ability to present analytical results visually including the use of advanced data visualization tools.
· Ability to identify and develop data driven insights and provide analytical support and statistical analysis.
· Fluent with R programming language is a must.
· Knowledge of ArcGIS or any enterprise GIS software, MS Office. Knowledge of Python, SQL and/or Power BI is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2*
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
This vacancy is archived.