Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has more than 60 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 6,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world. Around the globe, RTI works to develop and implement low emission energy technology alternatives, raise private financing for energy infrastructure, bring efficiency to utilities, work with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks in energy generation and consumption, and increase access to green energy to sustain economic growth and reduce poverty.
The purpose of the USAID Rural Electrification in Guatemala activity will be to help create a more favorable enabling environment for rural electrification through promoting renewable energy technology and energy efficient end use technology; create jobs linked to workforce development in rural electrification and renewable energy; and identify and accelerate private sector enterprises which contribute to renewable energy development in rural areas. The anticipated program will be based in Guatemala.
RTI is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID Rural Electrification in Guatemala activity. The COP will be responsible for overall project performance, management, and execution ensuring all project deliverables are exceptionally exceeded within budget and compliance. This position will provide project planning, oversight, leadership, and coordination. They may provide technical assistance and support activities where necessary. The COP will build and maintain strong and favorable client, partner, community, home office, and team relations. They may provide technical assistance and support activities where necessary. This position will be based in Guatemala and is contingent upon award and funding.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the overall leadership, strategic guidance, vision, and management of staff for successful implementation of the project within budget and compliance parameters.
- Lead overall project vision and strategy; manage overall project design and delivery.
- Ensure synergy across technical components of the project; ensure good team planning and coordination, deployment of resources and intra-team communication in support of project objectives.
- Lead technical meetings to ensure adaptive management and inclusion of guiding principles across all objectives.
- Oversee preparation and delivering high quality reports to USAID, including quarterly and annual reports, annual work plans, technical and financial reports.
- Ensure all contractual deliverables and reporting requirements are met and in compliance with contractual requirements and U.S. federal regulations.
- Provide overall leadership, strategic guidance, vision, and management to staff for successful implementation of the project, while maintaining financial accountability for all project activities.
- Build strong relationships and lead communication and collaboration with USAID and high-level stakeholders, such as ministries and regulators, other implementers, partners, and local counterparts.
- Oversee performance monitoring and evaluation to ensure all governance project targets are met or exceeded – making recommendations for improvement in program implementation.
- Liaise with USAID and RTI home office on technical and financial matters; implementation of and reporting on programming.
- Bachelor's Degree and 15 years of experience, Master's degree and 12 years of experience, PhD and 8 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Progressive senior management experience on donor-funded programs of similar size and scale with strong skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, procurement, and budgeting.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written and proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, and with multiple concurrent demands.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel and work in difficult terrain/conditions at times.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish is required.
- Deep understanding of, and experience working in, Guatemala’s energy sector and proven track record of supporting energy sector reform and mobilizing private sector highly desirable.
- Work experience in the Guatemala highly desirable.