Lao Friends Hospital for Children (LFHC) is a 30-bed acute pediatric hospital situated on the campus of Luang Prabang Provincial Hospital in Lao PDR. Since 2015 LFHC is dedicated to providing high-quality and compassionate healthcare to the children in remote areas of Northern Laos.
LFHC is a teaching hospital offering emergency, inpatient, outpatient and surgical services. Limited on-site radiology, pathology and pharmacy together with a homecare program complement these clinical activities. A major goal of this hospital is to promote the clinical learning and professional development of the local staff such that key positions within the hospital are progressively filled by a well-trained and dedicated local workforce.
The volunteer theatre nurse would work with the Lao and international team, with the main responsibilities being clinical supervision, teaching the Lao theatre staff, and maintaining high clinical standards. Much of the teaching is done at a practical level in the operating theatre, although opportunities are available to deliver more formal teaching sessions. The position requires adaptability to different situations and working practices than the volunteer may be used to; flexibility is essential. The position would ideally require a minimum of 1 month commitment, longer commitments preferred and much appreciated.
This is a unique opportunity for those looking to gain international clinical experience in a developing/lesser-developed country setting. Luang Prabang is a quiet and charming tourist-friendly town along the banks of the Mekong River. There are plenty of opportunities for weekend sightseeing trips in the surrounding area.
• Registered in UK, US, Canada, Australia or New Zealand; preference for nurses with sound experience of working in a variety of theatre specialities.
• Teaching and supervising experience.
• Committed to providing compassionate care to patients and families.
• Ability to interact with people from various countries and backgrounds with tact, diplomacy and cultural sensitivity.
• Demonstrated leadership, integrity, and a confidence–inspiring attitude.
• Experience practicing nursing in a low or middle-income country would be a plus.
This is a volunteer position with a preferred 1 month minimum commitment up to 6 months. Please note that the volunteer is responsible for all flights, accommodation, food and visa costs.
Please email email@example.com with a copy of your CV and two references. We currently have an urgent requirement for volunteers in May and June 2018.