The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (IICPSD) has a mandate to leverage the role of the private sector in development. Moreover, under the thematic area of private sector’s role in skills generation, IICPSD offers evidence based knowledge and advisory services aiming to expand job opportunities for the disadvantaged through increasing the private sector’s engagement in skills development. In this framework, IICPSD has analyzed successful examples of private sector-led or PPP-based skills generation initiatives for the purpose of generating knowledge; completed comprehensive research projects one in Turkey and another ongoing in India. Based on the good practices and implementation experience, IICPSD developed general and sectoral toolkits, such as extractive industry, to guide the practitioners on how to engage the private sector to skills development for employment; provided project support to various countries and regions including Bosnia, Macedonia, Uzbekistan and Kosovo; and partnered with global corporations (such as IBM, and HP) on developing skills for disadvantaged groups.
Towards fostering sustainable and inclusive growth for the achievement of the Agenda 2030, IICPSD will be developing targeted multi-stakeholder partnerships in skills development that will:
- enhance the employability of youth and women,
- strengthen the absorptive capacities of countries and
- unlock the economic opportunities that lie within the SDGs
Building on IICPSD’s knowledge development on the private sector’s role in skills, the research analyst will be expected to contribute to IICPSD’s work with high quality policy and programming guidance on innovative financing mechanisms for skills, such as social impact bonds; gender mainstreaming in skills development, entrepreneurial skills and effective disseminations methods.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Technical Specialist, the Research Analyst provides support in the production of reports and knowledge management activities of IICPSD in the skills development thematic area; multi-stakeholder partnerships development; toolkit and training development initiatives of the center; cooperation, technical advisory and implementation assistance offered to other UNDP units, including COs and RBx. The Research Analyst conducts research on political, social and economic trends in the thematic area and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of knowledge management activities within IICPSD’s private sector-led skills development portfolio.
The Research Analyst can supervise and lead knowledge management support staff.
Under the guidance of and reporting directly to the UNDP IICPSD Technical Specialist, the Research analyst will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following key functions:
Ensures implementation of the strategies of IICPSD in the private sector-led skills development area, focusing on achievement of the results:
- Conduct research and support preparation of high quality policy and programme guidance material such as innovative financing mechanisms, gender mainstreaming in skills development and entrepreneurial skills development;
- Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within this thematic area.
- Conduct the necessary internal procedures related to editing, design, clearance of documents and advocacy materials;
- Contribute to the facilitation of partnerships and regularly cover industry related stories and their development impact through briefs and blogposts.
Participates in effective knowledge management of the skills development thematic area of IICPSD focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the IICPSD activities:
- Design and formulation of some parts of IICPSD activities within the area of responsibility, translating IICPSD’s priorities into local interventions and partnerships.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Research Analyst performs functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval (if authorized by SM), participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Application of conceptual models in support of partnership and intervention design
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of IICPSD activities in the knowledge management activities under the skills development thematic area, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including reporting to higher level management of IICPSD
Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization for skills development thematic area.
- Create linkages with stakeholders for enhancing the impact of advocacy activities.
- Support communication, advocacy and outreach activities for their implementation in line with the respective guidelines of UNDP.
Provides top quality advisory services on private sector engagement in skills design and delivery to the relevant stakeholders and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues.
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the thematic area..
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings on the thematic area.
- Professional growth through active learning.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Collect, compile, interpret data and draw conclusions
Planning Organizing and Multitasking
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Interprets policies and guidance within context and applies with judgment and anticipates obstacles and applies practical solutions
- Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources (definition is unclear and not well linked to the stated competency)
- Has knowledge on visibility standards and rules of UNDP
- Master's or higher degree in economics, management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science, economic development or related field.
- Licence degree with 1 year of experience
- Bachelors degree on economics, management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science, economic development or related field with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Master's or higher degree in business administration, international relations, economic development OR licence degree with 1 year of relevant experience OR bachelors degree in economics, management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science economic development with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Proven track record of research on private sector in development
- Demonstrated knowledge on the design of research materials i.e. questionnaire, in depth interview guidelines, training materials etc.
- Research experience on the role of the private sector in development such as human capital development, employment, entrepreneurship and impact is an asset;
- Research, policy, programing experience at the international level is an asset
- Experience on inclusive business models, impact investing, and finance is an asset;
- Experience in supporting knowledge-based partnerships on issues related the role of the private sector in development is an asset
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis, data entry and cleaning procedures, website maintenance, social media is an asset.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in Turkish.
- Previous experience of working in UNDP or the UN system is highly desirable.
- Development programming experience in an international context an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 year with a possibility of extension