The GEF Council has recently approved the full-sized project (FSP) titled Energy Efficiency through the Development of Low-carbon Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) Technologies in Trinidad and Tobago (PIMS #5957) implemented through the United Nations Development Programme Trinidad & Tobago Country Office. UNDP is now commencing the implementation phase expected to last 5 years.
The project is aimed at the RAC sector and treating the issue of energy efficiency (EE) for large scale systems as well as smaller scale units to represent a holistic approach to encouraging a more sustainable energy consumption path through the adoption of energy efficient low-carbon technologies for Refrigeration and Air Conditioning end use.
The Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for the overall management of the Project, including the mobilization of all project inputs, supervision over project staff, consultants and sub-contractors. The PM will report to the National Steering Committee (NSC) in close consultation with the assigned UNDP Programme Manager and National Ozone Officer for all of the Project’s substantive and administrative issues. From the strategic point of view of the Project, the PM will report on a periodic basis to the NSC. The PM will perform a liaison role with the government, UNDP and other UN agencies, CSOs and project partners, and maintain close collaboration with other donor agencies providing co-financing.
The specialist will be responsible for coordinating activities related to the implementation phase of the approved FSP on EE and District Cooling at the national level. This includes:
- Managing and coordinating the day-to-day project activities including activities of the project consultants;
- Supervise and coordinate the production of project outputs through the Specialist Advisory Stakeholders and the Project Consultants;
- Organize and facilitate the Steering Committee and Specialist Advisory Stakeholders meetings and any other meetings with Government counterparts, donor agencies, private sector, NGOs and other stakeholders;
- Ensure a close working relationship between UNDP, the executing agency and other parties involved in project implementation;
- Foster and establish links with related national and regional projects, and other international programmes;
- Identify long-term sources of funding and establish linkages with International Financial Institutions (IFIs), where necessary;
- Ensure that the project is implemented with the full participation of relevant national and local institutions;
- Oversight of all components of the PRODOC with special emphasis on implementation of component 1;
- Organize training activities as they relate to Output 1.1.6 of Component 1;
- Organize national workshops under the project, including agendas, resource persons and participants;
- Ensure technical coordination of the project and the work related to legal and institutional aspects.
- Checking on progress and plan deviations, ensuring that changes are controlled, and problems addressed;
- Monitoring progress and risks and reporting on these as well as taking corrective actions to ensure that the project is achieving expected outputs within the given timeframe and budget;
- Work closely with project stakeholders and ensure the project delivers as per project document and work plan;
- Mobilize all project inputs in accordance with UNDP procedures and GEF principles;
- Finalize the ToR for the consultants and subcontractors and coordinate with UNDP Procurement for recruitment, procurement and contracting;
- Supervise and coordinate the work of all project staff, consultants and sub-contractors;
- Ensure proper management of funds consistent with UNDP requirements, and budget planning and control;
- Supervise project personnel in conducting administrative and logistical functions and ensure timely and effective implementation of project activities;
- Ensure that the project complies with the policies of the United Nations, in terms of regulations, procedures, reporting requirements and ethical standards.
- Undertake field visits to ensure the quality of work; and
- Undertake any activities that may be assigned by UNDP and National Steering Committee.
- Prepare and ensure timely submission of monthly reports, quarterly consolidated financial reports, quarterly consolidated progress reports, annual, mid-term and terminal reports, and other reports as may be required by UNDP;
- Submit the progress reports and key issue report to the National Steering Committee, including measures to address challenges and opportunities;
- Prepare quarterly and annual work plans;
- Provide regular input to UNDP corporate system ATLAS for financial and program management on project progress, financial status and various logs;
- Must have effective interpersonal and negotiation skills proven through successful interactions with all levels of project stakeholder groups, including senior government officials, financial sectors, private entrepreneurs, technical groups and communities;
- Should have the ability, to coordinate a complex, multi-stakeholder project and to lead, manage and motivate teams of international and local consultants to achieve results;
- Good capacities for strategic thinking, planning and management and excellent communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of UNDP project implementation procedures, including procurement, disbursements, and reporting and monitoring will be an added advantage;
- Strong leadership, managerial and coordination skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate the implementation of large multi-stakeholder projects, including financial and technical aspects;
- Ability to effectively manage technical and administrative teams, work with a wide range of stakeholders across various sectors and at all levels, to develop durable partnerships with collaborating agencies;
- Ability to consult with relevant institutions, government officers, financial institutions, and the consulting industry on the EE knowledge gaps of these stakeholders;
- Ability to administer budgets, train and work effectively with counterpart staff at all levels and with all groups involved in the project;
- Ability to coordinate and supervise multiple Project Implementation Units in their implementation of technical activities in partnership with a variety of subnational stakeholder groups, including community and government;
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills;
- Strong communication skills, especially in timely and accurate responses to emails;
- Strong computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package and internet search;
- Excellent command of English and local languages
- A Master’s degree in energy/environment/management or other relevant academic discipline;
- At least five (5) years professional experience;
- Extensive experience and technical ability to manage a large project and a good technical knowledge in the fields related to private sector development, climate change, energy efficiency, industry, business and institutional development and/or regulatory aspects.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: one year (1) renewable