Who we are
ARK Group is a stabilisation, development and conflict transformation consultancy that provides research-informed analysis and policy recommendations, as well as evidence-based interventions, in conflict-affected areas from Yemen and the Palestinian camps of Lebanon to Iraq and Syria on behalf of public and private sector clients.
Working with and through local communities, we seek to understand and then mitigate the negative effects of conflict and instability to enhance community safety and promote human security, development and economic opportunity. By way of example, when Syrian civilians had no emergency response services to deal with barrel bombings, we worked with local groups to set up Syria Civil Defence (the White Helmets), providing training and equipment and building the foundation for a national organisation that has to date saved over 100,000 lives.
ARK believes in enabling local communities to realise their aspirations and potential through the participatory design of projects and programmes that address the drivers and causes of conflict and instability. We are responsive and accountable to the communities we work in because so many of our staff and partners are from those communities.
We value inclusive, academically-rigorous, ethically-driven research and participatory design. We are innovators and incubators, finding and nurturing solutions in cooperation with our partners, whilst seeking to bridge the gap between our donors and the communities they wish to support. To the traditional project management disciplines of Economy, Effectiveness and Efficiency we add Empathy.
With over a dozen nationalities in the company and a team that is one third composed of refugees, we embrace diversity, nurture opportunity and leverage the youthful enthusiasm of our staff, whilst drawing on the experience and expertise of our more senior staff. Finally, we believe in hard work, delivering results that everyone can be proud of, and caring for each other. Our staff are our biggest asset and their welfare is our first priority.
We have a highly dynamic, capable, multinational team with offices across the MENA region and plans to establish an operational footprint in Africa in 2018. As we grow we want to attract individuals with varying levels of experience delivering projects in unstable environments. We have listed below some of the requirements we are looking for, but if you don’t meet all of them, don’t worry – you probably have other attributes, skills and experiences you think we need. If so, send us a cover letter and CV. We want to hear from you.
Purpose of Position
Oversee the implementation of ARK’s Syria Communications project. With the Production Manager, manage the production team to ensure programme objectives are met with deliverables of the highest quality, and within the required timeframe and budget.
• Provide continuous management and oversight of a strategic communications project and identify the need for adjustment and improvement of systems and processes to improve efficiency, optimise utilisation of resources and improve the quality of deliverables. Review and approve all changes in project plans.
• Ensure all internal and contracted periodic reports are completed on time and to a high quality and in accordance with ARK and donor requirements.
• Work with the ARK’s Programme Director to ensure commitment of adequate resources from approved budgets to support project implementation, and ensure that budgets are spent in accordance with donor requirements within the appropriate timeframe.
• Lead the production team and other ARK Communications staff to optimise strategy and approaches in the design of projects, campaigns, outputs, outcomes and impact.
• Provide media training and communications support to team members and project partners as required.
• Co-ordinate drafting and provide final review and approval of all major written project deliverables prior to dissemination or submission to the client.
• Supported by the M&E team, oversee project monitoring and evaluation against overall goals, specific objectives and contracted deliverables.
• Liaise with donors and clients to provide accurate, relevant and timely reporting on project implementation, impact and development opportunities.
• Ensure all staff-related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with ARK’s and the donor’s policies and guidelines. This includes recruitment, performance management, security, staff development and training, and disciplinary action.
• Liaise and coordinate across ARK project teams, headquarters and country offices to encourage sharing of knowledge and resources and effective programme synergies.
• Identify and develop new project, programme, donor/client and partnership opportunities, and contribute to bid development on these potential programmes as required by ARK’s management.
• Lead the programme’s engagement with governmental donors to ensure activities are aligned with its intent.
• Ensure that the Programme Director and the broader senior management team are fully briefed and cognisant of the portfolio, including key successes, obstacles and opportunities for growth.
• Develop terms of reference for all team members and undertake quarterly individual performance assessments.
• Cultivate and strengthen ARK’s strategic partnership with any relevant actors, such as consortium partners, and identify other regional actors for potential new business opportunities.
• Represent ARK in Turkey and work with the Programme Director and Head of Business Development to identify new programming opportunities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Post-graduate degree in journalism or international development or equivalent professional experience/qualification.
• A minimum of 8-10 years professional experience in international journalism and content production, including time in a management position.
• Proven analytical and project management skills, including experience in planning, budgeting and assessment.
• Demonstrated experience of working across different media formats, including film, television, radio and social media.
• Experience of working in the MENA/Levant region as well as experience of managing teams from diverse backgrounds and cultures in complex operating environments.
• Native-level English language written and oral skills, in order to compile and deliver complex and comprehensive reports, presentations and other materials for international donors.
• Wide professional network in the field of international media and production that can be leveraged in pursuit of project objectives.
• Commitment to team-building and demonstrated experience in training, development and mentoring of other team members.
• High personal adaptability, proactivity, and problem solving ability, with a proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines in a fluid environment.
• Personal flexibility to undertake international travel at short notice.
• Excellent social skills and effective inter-personal communication skills.
• Arabic language skills highly desirable.
Please send your CV (no more than 3 pages) with a covering letter (one page) by email to HR@arkgroupdmcc.com quoting ‘Project Manager - Communications’ in the subject line.