The External Relations and Communications Section (ERCS) builds and nurtures corporate donor relations, strategically leads the donor resource mobilization platform and conducts coherent communications efforts to highlight the value of volunteerism for peace and development and the contributions of UNV and UN Volunteers.
Reporting to the Chief, External Relations and Communications Section, the Partnerships Development Specialist is responsible for managing, strengthening and expanding resource mobilization and partnership building initiatives with traditional donors and provides donor coordination support for the Full Funding programme, guided by UNV’s priorities. She/he serves as a corporate focal point and interface in expanding and consolidating UNV’s external relations and spearheading resource mobilization efforts with UNV’s financing partners to mobilize resources, with a strong focus on the Full Funding programme.
Management of external donor relations
- Maintain effective and quality donor relations management through active engagement in events, missions and consultations;
- Coordinate and organize strategic dialogues with traditional partners to expand and diversify collaborative engagements and increase resource mobilization;
- Scan the potential for expanding collaboration with traditional donors to foster further interest in and commitment with UNV’s renewed global agenda;
- Ensure high quality and timely donor reporting, both financial and substantive, with attention to accuracy and required follow up actions to facilitate data consolidation;
- Negotiate new agreements with traditional donors as per applicable policies and in consultation with relevant UNV parties;
- Monitor the use of donor funds and alert on any discrepancies for corrective actions for programme/projects implementers, to fulfill UNV’s fiduciary responsibility and accountability to donors;
- Submit timely financial and activity reports on donor-funded initiatives based on the terms of corporate agreements.
Internal resource mobilization planning and fund-raising, and conclusion of financing agreements with traditional donors
- Provide support in in the articulation of funding proposals to cater for traditional donors’ policies and for new strategic priorities to enable effective resource mobilization;
- Support the formulation and implementation of marketing plans and associated donor outreach for fund raising, including Special Voluntary Fund, Fully-funded Volunteers, trust funds, and cost-sharing;
- Facilitate internal consultations/coordination that is needed at different stages of the partnerships management cycle to strengthen, diversify and expand partnerships with traditional donors;
- In collaboration with the Communications team, conceptualize and develop targeted donor communications materials and marketing tools to enable effective partnership-building and resource mobilization for UNV;
- Lead donor negotiation processes and conclusion of financing agreements with traditional donors;
- Support Regional Offices and Field Units in negotiations of funding arrangements with traditional donors and facilitate the inclusion of specific requirements for the Full Funding programme agreements.
High-level outreach and partner engagement
- Organize and coordinate strategic dialogues, donor engagements, and high-level outreach and advocacy events globally, including agenda setting and preparation of executive briefs;
- Identify and recommend opportunities for UNV participation in key forums of corporate significance (e.g. conferences, national/global/regional fora) and coordinate UNV’s participation;
- Support and contribute to the organization of corporate partnership engagement activities and events, particularly in relation to the Full Funding programme;
- Prepare Executive Office missions to donor countries/institutions, including agenda, briefing notes, mission reports, coordination of follow up, etc.
Partnerships and donor-related support and coordination for the Full Funding programme
- Identify opportunities for expanding the donor base for the Full Funding programme including new and emerging donors;
- Provide advice to internal stakeholders in the development of Full Funding programme related concept notes and outreach material, internal clients including regional offices and field units;
- Working closely with the Volunteer Solutions Section and Finance Unit, provide partnerships support on Full Funding donor reporting and develop templates for the Full Funding programme reporting requirements;
- Develop selected outreach material and briefs on Full Funding programmatic interventions and related impact.
Management of partnership knowledge and intelligence
- Analyze global trends, produce a central donor intelligence mapping and other intelligence resources, and provide advice to UNV on partnership opportunities working closely with the Regional Offices and Field Units;
- Develop relevant guidance notes, standard operating procedures, tools, templates, best practices, lessons learned, and ensure consistent use of required tools by internal clients;
- Regularly identify partnerships and resource mobilization opportunities from regular dialogues with traditional partners and through active engagement and exchange with UNV’s relevant units and cooperation entities to enable expansion of collaborative engagements and advise internal clients;
- Establish and maintain UNV’s community of partnerships practices at headquarters and field levels.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, Inter-Agency Coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Master’s degree in social sciences, political science, public or business administration, or related fields.
- 5 years of relevant experience, with at least 3 years at an international organization in partnerships and resource mobilization;
- Work experience in multi-stakeholder partnership building dealing with public and private sectors, with international or intergovernmental organizations.
- Fluency in English and French;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension