UNDP in Sri Lanka is reorganizing internally and moving to an integrated collaborative business model. Internally, an energetic and innovative team will converge around the planning, design, implementation and quality assurance of an integrated programme in a fast-paced environment. Fostering strategic partnership and alliances with different stakeholders will require a team which consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and has a strong client orientation. Strong UN partnerships are valued for Delivering Together in a true spirit of collaboration and teamwork.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Associate (Procurement), the Operations Assistant (Procurement and Administration) provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes, including administrative and logistical services and assets management, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The incumbent promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Operations Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to administrative and procurement processes
- Provision of logistical services
- Control of CO Assets
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1.Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2.Ensures effective administrative and procurement support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UNDP shipments (received/sent), preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of Request for Quotation (RFQs), Invitation to bid (ITBs) or Request for Proposals (RFPs) documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of Purchase Orders.
- Administrative and procurement support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Act as Security Focal Point with relevant responsibilities
- Perform support on procurement related processes as required.
3.Ensures provision of logistical services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Purchase of tickets and PO preparation; arrangement of shipments; vehicle maintenance organization; conference facilities arrangements.
- Performance of a Buyer role in Atlas and preparation of POs for travel activities.
- Collection of information for Daily Subsistence Allowance, (DSA), travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
- Arrangement of vehicle transportation, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Checking and recording of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Timely conduction of DSA, Travel Agencies, Catering Services, vehicle maintenance, hotel and conference facilities surveys, as well as other common services in cooperation with the Procurement Unit.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, memoranda and reports in accordance with Office Standard Operating Procedures
- Responsibility for oversight of CO driver’s fleet and routine maintenance and minor repairs of car vehicles, completion of vehicle daily log for proper control of mileage, calculation, purchase and distribution of fuel coupons for UNDP and projects, keeping records of fuel consumption, petrol/oil consumption, maintenance and repairs.
4.Ensures proper control of CO and projects assets, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports;
- Implementation of Inventory and physical verification check-up in the CO and projects
- Physical verification of all UNDP assets and accurate certification reports;
- Disposal of all obsolete and non-functioning assets and follow up on all disposal actions
- Upload supporting documentation to Document Management System for all Atlas receipts of assets of any value
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services
5.Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary education required. Certification in administration or procurement desirable.
5 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
ONLY QUALIFIED SRI LANKAN NATIONALS NEED APPLY
Fluency in English and language of the duty station