Background Information - Job-specific
*THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS THE ITALIAN NATIONALITY OR A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN ITALY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION **
The Network Assistant will carry out his/her tasks within the Remote Mission Support Services Unit, which provides services to support United Nations Global Service Centre (UNGSC), field missions, UN agencies and partners.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS DFS Global Programme Director, the incumbent will work under the Chief - Infrastructure Operations Section, or a designated officer, and be responsible for providing support to technical and network efforts while at UNGSC and when deployed support field missions and offices. The Network Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
A. While at the duty station (UNGSC):
- Perform technical activities including remote configuration and maintenance of multi-protocol routers, multi-layer switches, next-generation firewalls and other types of LAN/WLAN/WAN equipment;
- Assist field missions and remote offices with overall network services operations and maintenance, including support to LAN/WAN, voice, security, and systems platforms, generate reports, revise and update network diagrams and documentation;
- Assist with performing troubleshooting to systems failures and identify bottlenecks to ensure long-term efficiency of the network;
- Assist in licensing, operational support of Network Cloud-based solutions such as Cisco Meraki and CheckPoint Firewall and Cisco ASA Firewalls;
- Use network management and monitoring tools to prepare problem-analysis reports, resources utilization data, suggest measures for network efficiency maximization and provide recommendations and reports for management review;
- Draft recommendation and specifications for equipment and services based on the organizations need and standards;
- Perform vulnerability scans to identify deficiencies in systems configuration, the need for the update or other security-related changes;
- Assist implementation of security policies and security reviews;
- Work on various Cisco voice solutions
- Collaborate with internal and external technical management teams to support field missions around the globe for its daily operations of networks and systems;
- On a rotation basis, perform duty officer roll activities;
- Travel on short notice to field missions even for an extended period;
- Perform other duties as required.
B. When deployed to support field missions and offices:
- Assist with the planning, design, and implementation of network project based on Mission requirements;
- Assist with reviewing network configurations and data security systems, and in the planning of cost-effective upgrades to keep up with changing technology, the growth of mission, and needs of Mission components ensuring maximum efficiency;
- Assist the Mission with routine network and systems operational support and analysis;
- Assist in the installation, commissioning and maintenance of VoIP terminals, computerized telephone accounting and standalone billing and radius server billing systems;
- Collaborate with internal and external technical management teams and service providers to ensure proper connectivity of the Mission network to the Internet and other external sources;
- Work closely with other specialists on the implementation and support of Perimeter Fence Firewalls, Intrusion Prevention Systems, Network Traffic Monitoring Systems, Secure Data Tunnels, Secure Remote Access Systems, Internet Proxy Servers and Filtering system, Secure Wireless Networks, and Network Access Control Systems;
- Provide technical support regarding LAN/WAN problems and recommends upgrades when necessary.
- Assist Mission technical teams including end user and ensure that all critical and non-critical services are up to the client satisfaction and aligned with Organizations standards;
- Support the design, implementation and maintenance of Cloud networking (Meraki), Voice (Cisco CME, CUCM and SIP trunking) and Data Security projects with emphasis in CISCO and Checkpoint Firewall and Cisco ASA solutions;
- Support the design and implementation of VPN (Virtual Private Networks) Mission-wide;
- Assess security policies implementations, perform network setup and security audits to validate compliance with policies;
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact of Results
Works with minimal amount of supervision; independently provides accurate deliverables in the areas of Networking.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Secondary school education or equivalent technical school. First level degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience working in the Information Technology field as a network technician or related position is required.
- Good knowledge of LAN/WAN networks, TCP/IP protocols and network technologies is required.
- Experience in configuring and maintaining network devices such as routers, switches, firewalls, wireless equipment and in monitoring and reporting using network management solutions is required.
- Experience performing routine tests on servers, network, software quality, enterprise systems, useracceptance, management tools and related software is highly desirable.
- Experience in performing routine and user acceptance on enterprise systems and software is required.
- Experience in Network and System management tools is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems, DHCP, DNS, Antivirus, database, web server, web application server and enterprise system architecture is desirable
- Knowledge of voice and PABX systems is a plus
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Basic Knowledge of French (reading and speaking) is required.
- IT industry certificates in the field of Networking and Security such as Cisco CCENT/CCNA, CompTIA Network+ are strongly preferred and a CCSA is a plus;
- ITIL foundation certification is required. ITIL intermediate and or PRINCE2 certifications are highly desirable.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff
Contract level: G4
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link*:* https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Sustainable Development Cluster
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.