Background Information - Job Specific
The Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Electricity of Ethiopia is a federal organization established to undertake the management of water resources, water supply and sanitation, large and medium scale irrigation and electricity. As part of the ambitious targets of GTP-II and Ethiopia’s vision 2015, Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Electricity (MoWIE) is developing a program that compensate the gap of meeting the GTP-II so far, advance the immediately needed further development, including new and innovative new way of doing the business.
The objective of this project is to provide technical support to the minister and state ministers of MoWIE to improve the decision making power of the ministers hereby meeting the GTPII targets assigned to the ministry.
The overall objective for this task is to assist MoWIE’s to establish national standards for i) irrigation structures such as weirs, dams, canals ii) irrigation machineries iii) irrigation equipment including drip kits, sprinklers and pumps.
- Irrigation systems design such as dams, diversion structures, field canals
- Selection of irrigation technologies such as field-water management systems including drip, center pivot, sprinkler, etc.
- Propose options for modernizing irrigation systems;
- Investigate existing irrigation systems and water management systems in the project area and develop irrigation maps describing locations or routes of irrigation facilities such as water resources, irrigated areas, canals, pumping stations, and gates;
- Establishment and/or strengthening of Irrigation Associations in order to enable them to assume their role in operation and maintenance (O & M);
- Assess irrigation efficiency of subprojects and incorporate measures to improve efficiency in design;
- Carryout irrigation scheduling for sub projects and prepare irrigation schedules; and
- Design operational system for increasing efficiency and productivity of selected irrigation systems as subprojects
- Advise in the development of policy, regulations, directives and guidelines for sustainable exploitation and rechargeable management of ground water
- Masters Degree in in Hydrologic Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Irrigation, or related field.
- A Bachelors degree in the same fields with additional two years relevant experience can be accepted in lieu of Masters degree.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience for Masters’ Degree, or seven years of relevant experience for Bachelors Degree. Out of the relevant years of experience, three years of experience should be in Irrigation Structure and Technology.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic is required.
Visit the online vacancy for more information and to apply: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=16678