UNDP’s Regional Centre for Europe and the CIS is UNDP`s advisory hub for the Europe and CIS region tasked with the responsibility to provide policy and programmatic support to UNDP´s development activities in the region. Throughout UNDP´s focus areas, it works towards increasing the impact of UNDP´s activities in the region by assisting Country Offices in development of country-level initiatives through advisory services and technical support and by implementing regional-level projects in partnership with a wide range of partners supported to a global network of expertise. Under the leadership of the Director, the RBEC Regional Centre employs will a multi-disciplinary team of specialists and advisors, project managers, operations and programme support staff.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ICT Specialist, the ICT Support Assistant provides ICT support services and daily technical support to the RSC staff and other users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The ICT Support Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach.
Provides general IT user support to clients by:
- Continuous user assistance with IT issues
- Maintenance of computers, servers, printers and other devices
- Full compliance of IT systems and procedures with UN/UNDP rules and regulations on IT operations
- Regular updates of user hardware and software
Ensures effective functioning of the IRH hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Performance of specific technical functions, including replacing hardware components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs.
- Assistance in the installation, development and maintenance of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades
- Assistance in upgrading operating systems, software and firmware on a timely basis
- Monitoring equipment status, usage and performance on a frequent and regular basis
- Support to users in backing up and restoring their files, as well as in virus detection, removal and prevention.
Supports networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access
- Assistance in backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Maintenance of off-site storage of backups.
Provides administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware assets
- Maintenance of a library of ICT related reference materials
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials
- Extraction of data from various sources
- Research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports as required
- Provision of ICT support to events, workshops, trainings, etc.
Supports implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the IRH technology environment
- Support to the use of ERP systems functionality for improved business results and improved client services
- Provision of inputs to the IRH administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Finding, suggesting and implementing solutions for different work related problems
- Finding, suggesting and implementing solutions to increase work efficiency of IT team as well as other units/teams
- Provision of inputs to preparation of results-oriented workplans.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the RSC, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation and assistance in the organization of trainings for the IRH staff on ICT issues.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Active participation on corporate IT social networks
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the IRH including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking and proactive ICT management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision. Accurate and prompt analysis, offered and implemented solution of the existing IT problems is essential for smooth operations of the entire centre.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Strategic Alignment of Management Practice
- Gathers information on best practices in the relevant management practice in his/her area of responsibility
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Secondary Education with relevant ICT, Help-desk, Network or related experience is required at the national or international level
- University Degree in Computer Engineering, Network Engineering, Electronics Engineering or any other related field with relevant ICT related experience is required at the national or international level
- ICT Certifications such as Cisco, Microsoft is an asset.
- Secondary Education with 5 years of relevant work experience in IT user support, network administration, maintenance of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications
- Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of relevant work experience in IT user support, network administration, maintenance of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications
- Previous experience with the following is expected:
- Fluency in English and Turkish. Knowledge of Russian or other language spoken in Europe and the CIS region would be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension