1. Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Base
Duty station: Kandahar - Afghanistan
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 7 months (with possible extension)
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Direct supervision of: 1 Log, 1 Finance, 1 HR and 1 security officer (national) Project Managers based in Kandahar (depending on number of projects)
2. General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organisation that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected. INTERSOS is an independent association which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world's poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure.
INTERSOS has base office in Kandahar with a number of projects and between 100-300 staff and paid volunteers working in Southern Region (depending on the number of projects). INTERSOS is implementing a multi-sector programme covering the sectors of : health, protection, WASH and EiE. in several districts.The office in Kabul serves for coordination, support and representation.
3. General purpose of the position
The Head of Base will support the Head of Mission with the field programme management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategies, plans and policies, as well as with daily management of Kandahar base.
He/she is responsible for:
- Overseeing the Administrative, HR, Security and Logistics units in Kandahar,
- Ensuring smooth running of the operations,
- Representing INTERSOS in relevant meetings
- Leading access negotiations for the area
- Motivating and leading a diverse staff as well as effectively overseeing operations and partnerships.
- Providing support to Project Managers in project management and project cycle management
- Directly managing the Project Managers (in coordination with HoM), while working collaboratively with the Protection and Health Coordinators
- Playing a key role in the definition and implementation of the Strategy of the mission, ensuring the smooth running of INTERSOS humanitarian operations
- Monitoring, evaluating and supporting the implementation of the protection, education and health programs, participating also in the donor reporting
4. Main responsibilities and tasks
Management of support departments
- Oversees the logistics, administration/finance and HR operations in Kandahar base, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes.
- Supports the security analysis and support the HoM in updating the CPPs in the field base, the SOPs and in any other security-related task.
- Oversees the application of the CCP and SoP and is responsible of the overall security of INTERSOS’ staff and assets in the area.
- Leads access negotiations for the geographic area.
- Supports the HoM on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse.
- Cooperate with the Logistic team for any logistic and procurement-related tasks in the field base.
- Cooperates with the Country Finance Coordinator for the supervision of the financial and administrative aspects in the field base.
- Cooperates with the HR manager for the implementation of the HR procedures at field level.
- Supports project field staff in the base in the optimal and efficient organization (in terms of administration and logistics) for a smooth implementation of the projects.
- Hierarchically manages the Project Managers and supports them on the operational issues.
- Supports the Project Managers in the planning and the monitoring of the achievement of the activities, deliverables and budget.
- Provides feedbacks on the monthly monitoring tool (PAT) to PMs
- Supervises, plans and monitors throughout the programs through regular field visit and staff meeting.
- Ensures the quality of projects in cooperation with the technical coordinators.
- Ensures that the Project Managers produce high quality donor reports and work in close collaboration on their preparation
- Organizes programme meetings on a regular basis.
- In collaboration with HR and HoM, supports the recruitment of new staff.
Strategy development and representation**
- Contributes to the definition of the INTERSOS’ operational strategy in collaboration with HoM and other Technical Coordinators
- Supports the HoM in the design of the Afghanistan Country Strategy.
- Contributes to the design of potential funding opportunities
- Contributes to the writing of proposals to donors.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the project areas.
- Proactively engages with donors, international NGO and other actors participating at coordination meetings at regional level.
- Supports the technical Coordinators in maintaining productive working relationships with Health, Education and Protection Clusters as well as Child Protection and other relevant Working Groups at the regional level.
- Ensures the participation of INTERSOS to relevant Working Groups and Task Forces (responsibilities can be delegated)
- Briefs Head of Mission, Technical Coordinators and relevant Project Managers on discussions held during working groups.
- Developpes strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Develops the capacity of the staff under his/her supervision. and ensures the capacity building strategy of all the staff in the area, in coordination with the RH department and HoM.
- Manages the performance of all the staff under his responsibility (setting of objectives, conducting appraisal, providing constructive feedback and ensuring effective coordination and communication)
- Completes the Internal Review Process (IRP) of all staff under line management responsibilities.
- Works in the strategic nationalization of key positions, when feasible, in coordination whit the RH department and HoM.
- Organizes regular base meetings ensuring clear priorities and the smooth collaboration, coordination and communication among departments.
- Developpes monthly reports to be submitted to the Head of Mission as drawn from the PATs and discussions with Project Managers regarding:
- Trends and analysis of the humanitarian context;
- Analysis of security environment and (internal and external) incidents;
- Activities and Programme Achievements.
- Contributes to the development of reports due to donors, government and other stakeholders.
Performs any other related duties as required.
5. Required profile and experience
- Hold an advanced degree in social science or any related field.
- At least 3 years of direct professional experience working in humanitarian coordination of programs and operations, including security management responsibilities.
- Prior work experience in INGOs in similar positions (as an expat)
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving conflict and internal displacement.
- Experience in the implementation of multi-sector humanitarian programming including protection services, WASH assistance and/or health/nutrition services is desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in programme and operations coordination.
- Security management and access negotiations skills.
- Logistics, finance and HR management skills.
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting.
- Strong representation and negotiation skills, with government and non-government counterparts.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy is a must).
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management models.
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems is desirable,
- Readiness and ability to move around in Afghanistan.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity.
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized).
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (pro-active).
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient).
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management.
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills.
- Practical and problem-solver.
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure.