- Personnel Service Agreement
- REFERENCE NO.:
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- UTC +10
- CLOSING DATE:
- Open until position is filled
Organizational Unit: UNU Centre, Administration (Finance)
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with strong commitment to customer service and the potential to bring a significant contribution to the worldwide expansion of UNU’s operations.
Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the main duties and responsibilities of the Finance Assistant include the following:
- provides financial accounting services, which includes creation of vouchers, purchase orders and /or journals as well as data extraction
- supports payment processing work, which includes verifying supporting documents and checking accuracy of the calculations
- initiates payment process, which includes running pay cycles as well as preparing bank upload files and fund requests
- processes return payments from banks
- assists in monthly closing activities
- processes travel requests and claims as per UNU travel guidelines
- registers vendor after reviewing vendor form received
- responds to routine inquiries and information requests, including drafting routine written responses and/or routing to appropriate personnel for handling as required
- provides general office support to help ensure the smooth functioning of the Finance Unit
- reviews, records, routes, and/or processes mail or other documents received, including gathering pertinent background material, tracking and monitoring follow-up action
- maintains files (both paper and electronic) and database for the Finance Unit
- performs other duties as assigned
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- minimum diploma/advanced diploma in Accountancy, Finance, or equivalent field of study, with at least two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in a related area
- fresh university graduates are encouraged to apply
- proficiency in Microsoft Office is required
- fluency in both oral and written English is required; knowledge of another UN official language is an asset; ability to read Japanese language is preferred
- result-oriented, self-motivated and “hands-on” with the ability to prioritise work and multitask
- proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications, experience and level of responsibilities within the Administration.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, and the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post and no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status, nor is he/she a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible.