Amnesty International’s regional office in Tunis is are looking for a volunteer to assist the Egypt Team in carrying out daily campaigning, research and advocacy tasks. This is a full-time volunteering opportunity (35 hours a week) for a minimum of three months.
The successful volunteer would be expected to carry out the following tasks:
* Media and social media monitoring: We monitor the news and social media sites concerning the human rights situation in Egypt on a daily basis. Relevant articles are then filed electronically into databases and particularly important news items forwarded to the team by email. The volunteer will assist in monitoring Arabic and English media and social media sites and will file information accordingly.
* Assisting with campaigning: The volunteer will assist in the drafting of short campaigning documents relating to human rights concerns in Egypt, and will assist in promoting our work on digital platforms
* Social media and graphics: The volunteer will be expected to assist the Egypt team with the production of simple social media graphics and social media assets for reactive work, along pre-set messaging for ongoing campaigns.
* Assisting with research: The volunteer may be asked to carry out desk research on specific human rights concerns in Egypt and to draft short research outputs including internal briefings, as directed by the Egypt team.
* Translation: The volunteer may be asked to do written translations of documents from Arabic into English or vice versa whenever needed.
* Assisting with administrative tasks: The volunteer will occasionally assist the Egypt Team with a range of administrative tasks including updating mailing lists, taking minutes of meetings, uploading documents onto internal databases and organizing meetings.
We would expect the successful volunteer to have the following skills and experience:
* Good understanding of key human rights concerns in Egypt through study, work or other experience including in social or political sciences, law, journalism or field work.
* Good level of written and spoken Arabic;
* Fluent level of written and spoken English;
* Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
* Good level of inter-personal and communication skills;
* Ability to multi-task;
* Ability to work independently;
* Experience and/or interest in digital campaigning;
* Experience and/or interest in preparing simple social media graphics;
* Willingness to learn and to adapt to a fast-paced working environment;
* Willingness to undertake administrative work such as updating online databases and archiving;
Volunteering in one of the world’s leading human rights organizations can provide valuable experience and following your successful volunteer placement, you may request to receive references. However, please note that volunteering does not lead directly to employment with Amnesty International.
Volunteering is unpaid, although travel and lunch expenses are provided. We are able to offer only very limited advice in terms of accommodation in Tunis and volunteers are responsible for arranging their own visa/work permit where required.
Equality and diversity is at the core of our values and volunteers are expected to participate collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the contribution of others is valued and respected.
Volunteers are required to comply with our policies and rules relating to Health and Safety, Cultural Diversity and Equal Opportunities as well as with our security regulations.
This vacancy is archived.