FHI 360 is recruiting a senior clinician scientist who has a proven track record of tuberculosis (TB) and other infectious diseases clinical research to join our team in FHI 360’s largest Unit, Global Health Population and Nutrition (GHPN). The individual will have two major responsibilities. The first is to serve as Director of Scientific Affairs, responsibilities of which include serving as Scientific/Technical deputy to GHPN’s Business Unit Director, and leading a 3-person team which oversees the technical quality of human subjects’ health-related research being proposed by FHI 360 teams across the organization, prior to submission for FHI 360 IRB approval. Scientific Affairs also oversees a long-standing research fellowship in conjunction with a local university, organizes research training, tracks impact of completed research, and oversees abstract reviews before submission to major conferences.
The second major responsibility is to lead two NIH-funded TB research network support activities. The individual will supervise an FHI 360 physician-led China-based team in support of an international regulatory clinical study set to start mid-2018, as well as project that will roll-out new drug-resistant treatment options and studies. There are other academic and pharmaceutical company opportunities in planning stages, in China, that the incumbent would continue to develop, in conjunction with US-, China-and Asia-based teams. The individual also will lead an NIH-funded TB biomarker research coordinating center with a team that organizes an annual scientific meeting, maintains an updated website while supporting a global network of principal investigators, data management and laboratory experts at sites across Asia, African and Latin America, as well as within FHI 360.
The incumbent will be expected to seek additional opportunities related to, or independent of, the existing TB research work, including leading proposals for new funding from the U.S. and other governments (e.g., NIH, CDC, USAID), and foundations.
The applicant must demonstrate experience successfully working with sponsors such as the NIH and pharmaceutical companies, and have outstanding communication skills for working with FHI 360 teams across the globe. The applicant must also demonstrate past success in proposal writing and other business development efforts. English verbal and written competency is required.
· Supervise the Scientific Affairs team, including final review and approval of health-related research protocols.
· Oversee annual recruitment and successful completion of year-long research fellowship program
· Work directly with the GHPN Director to address or preemptively intervene on scientific and technical issues that arise, including instances of potential research misconduct
· Work across all FHI 360 Business Units to provide technical support to TB and other infectious diseases programmatic and research work or proposals in development.
· Develop and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs/CBOs, and other key stake holders
· Lead the TB research and TB drug roll-out project in China, while continuing to develop new research focal areas with academic partners in China
· Serve as Principal Investigator for the RePORT International Coordinating Center, including internal and external communication and coordination
· Continuous scholarly activity including presentation of data and research results at international conferences and publication in peer-reviewed publications
· Travel required: 20-25%
· Required Education: Clinical degree such as MD Doctorate Degree or its International Equivalent with Masters and / or PhD (medicine, epidemiology)
· Required Experience: Clinical expertise in TB or TB -HIV is required, and more than 10 years of experience leading or participating in TB or other infectious diseases clinical research
· A minimum of 70 publications including peer-reviewed publications and demonstrate an ongoing pace of 3 or more published papers per year
· Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff
· Ability to read, hear and process complex concepts in English and be able to articulate such complex ideas verbally and in writing, in English.
· Full-time, permanent position
· US-based, preferably Durham North Carolina
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
This vacancy is archived.