The Director for Proposal Pricing supports Save the Children’s mission though the successful pursuit of multi-million dollar awards from USAID and other public institutional donors. The Director leads the International Programs division’s Pricing function, directly managing the Proposal Pricing Unit within the Portfolio Growth and Performance (PGP) department and building global capacities to develop accurate, cost-competitive pricing strategies and proposal budgets for USG funding opportunities worth over $600 million per year. This position helps develop and implement the vision, strategy, and enabling environment within Save the Children US and across the organization’s global structure that are necessary to grow the agency’s revenue and impact.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
Cost Proposal Development (40%)
- Serve as Cost Lead, Cost Advisor, and/or reviewer as required, particularly on large-value or otherwise particularly complex bids.
- Support Proposal Cost Leads and other proposal team members to produce accurate, competitive cost proposals and pricing strategies that are grounded in sound assumptions, aligned to project designs, and compliant with applicable regulations.
- Provide quality control, guidance, and troubleshooting when issues arise, and negotiate budget matters with country offices and consortium partners, in partnership with Proposal Managers and Directors.
- Apply independent judgement, discretion, and influence to support decisions that affect the outcome of multi-million dollar proposals.
Team Management (25%)
- Supervise and manage Proposal Pricing Team, and indirectly oversee and mentor staff in other departments and country offices who engage in the Pricing function to deliver accurate, competitive pricing strategies and proposal budgets.
- Support professional development of Proposal Pricing Team staff, individually and as a team by ensuring access to internal and external opportunities and regularly assessing progress towards these goals.
- Manage team operational budget and staff assignments to ensure effective resource allocation and stewardship.
- Participate in PGP department management and agency initiatives that strengthen cross-functional collaboration, performance, and staff engagement.
Knowledge Management and Learning (25%)
- Lead and execute cost application elements of the BD Learning Strategy to enhance core business development competencies, specifically for multi-year, high value and high risk USG funding.
- Lead development of curriculum and learning resources in keeping with Learning Strategy.
- Produce and improve Proposal Pricing Team’s tools, templates, and business processes to support competitiveness, compliance, and work efficiency as donor requirements and SC business practices evolve.
- Build appropriate skills, knowledge and attitudes for priority audiences across functional disciplines and in both Country Office and US locations, through diverse training modalities.
Strategic Leadership (10%)
- Support the development, improvement and rollout of global policies and systems related to institutional revenue and income analysis, new business development, federal contracting, donor relationship management, institutional strengthening and capacity building, and knowledge management and learning.
- Maintain strong relationships with other SCUS divisions, SC Members, SCI/HQ and field leadership, and relevant external networks to share knowledge, collaborate effectively, influence senior leadership for sound and informed decisions, and stay abreast of industry standards and the USG regulatory environment.
- Minimum 7-10 years' experience in international development or related field
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience required.
- Strong command of Microsoft Excel, with experience developing complex Excel workbooks and using advanced functionality.
- Experience producing USAID grant and contract applications, and strong familiarity with USAID procurement processes and award regulations.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work in a fast-paced and complex environment.
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, independent working, and self-directed initiative.
- Ability to represent Save the Children effectively in negotiation with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven staff supervision, team leadership and management skills and experience.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with multi-cultural teams.
- Ability to travel internationally, approximately 15-20%, often on short notice
- Experience strengthening staff competencies and technical skills, including the creation and delivery of training modules, job resources and tools, and business processes.
- Experience with USDA, other USG foreign assistance funding sources, and other public institutional donors.
- Knowledge of and experience using Power BI software
- French language skills
What’s In It for You
- Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Vision Insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Paid holidays
What makes us special!
- Generous Retirement Savings with matching company contributions of up to 8%
- Family Leave – 10 additional days of paid time off for you to use to care for your family members
- Additional Maternity and Paternity Leave – 30 days where parents can take additional paid leave (beyond short-term disability and FMLA) at the birth or adoption of a child during that critical first year!
- Critical Child Illness Leave – We hope you never have to use it, but we will provide an additional 30 days of paid leave per year should your dependent child be faced with a critical illness.
- Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Identity Protection, Home, Auto and additional Life insurances
- Summer Fun Fridays – Early release at 1:30 pm on selected Fridays during the summer months.
- Volunteer Day – One paid day a year to support the causes that matter to you!
- Ergonomic Options – Every employee at our HQ offices has the option of a sitting/standing desk
Leadership and Employee Development Training, including:
Our remarkable in-house CORE, Senior Management Development, and Leadership Development Programs
Language learning opportunities
Continuous Improvement skill development programs
Brown Bag information sharing sessions
Work hard/Play hard! We make sure there’s ample opportunity for fun, engagement, and celebration while you work, such as networking events, March Madness, World Cup, Dodgeball Tournaments, Take Your Child to Work Day, Founder’s Day, and our annual Day of Service
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.