About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Resource Development (RD) department works in three main areas: 1) fundraising: raising private funds and cultivating and maintaining relationships with private donors and corporate partners; 2) marketing: effectively bringing the organization’s brand to life in an effort to elevate our profile to advance strategic goals 3) engage the public in global issues that matter to Mercy Corps through public outreach and education through the Mercy Corps Action Center.
The RD team includes several dozen dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of skills. We are database managers, web developers, marketers and public relations experts. We are donor services professionals, designers, photographers and teachers. Most of all, we are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and dedicated to advancing the goals of our worldwide team who are powered by a belief a better world is possible.
General Position Summary
The Director of Digital Optimization is responsible for the development and implementation of a strong digital strategy for Mercy Corps - which encompasses the website and social media channels. He/She leads a team of developers and digital content managers. Responsibilities will include technology and user experience strategy for digital properties including mercycorps.org and our social media channels; behavioral and engagement journey tactics and experiences; analysis of site traffic and user behavior to improve visits and engagement; A/B testing of content and segment-based experiences and to provide insights to internal teams on performance.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in development, systems, content segmentation and analytics. The Director supports a wide variety of stakeholders, ensuring their needs for brand consistent, accurate, and timely website and social media content, UX and design are met. S/he ensures that the team is working effectively to manage resourcing for website requests and assigns resources as appropriate. S/he oversees decisions related to selection of content management tools and vendors who support the technology stack; optimizes the user experience of mercycorps.org and social media channels; and has a significant voice in decisions about any tool or service that plugs into mercycorps.org.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- Responsible for mercycorps.org and social media channel daily operations and developing long-term vision and strategy that reflects inputs of; and meets the needs of stakeholders across the organization.
- Responsible for ongoing testing strategy and execution.
- Seek opportunities for innovation with the digital channels.
- Set the direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives.
- Lead and set our SEO strategy.
- Works with audience owners to understand and define their audiences, identify content needs, opportunities to test, and approaches to increase engagement.
Digital Channel Optimization
- Analysis of digital traffic and engagement reports to identify channel insights, collaborate with key stakeholders to optimize strategies and tactics for digital performance.
- Partners with stakeholders to develop and implement cross-channel, digital donor engagement strategies to cultivate Mercy Corps’ current supporter base and build an engaged community of new supporters via mercycorps.org and social media channels.
- Partners with Digital Fundraising team to ensure technical support for optimization of the donation conversion funnel and the user experience infrastructure for other defined audiences for whom goals and metrics exist.
- Implement testing and optimization of content, user experiences and design strategies across the website and social channels - to continuously improve the digital user experience and engagement using the delivery of product road maps.
- Collaborates across teams and departments at Mercy Corps to ensure that the website is meeting organizational needs to the extent allowed by resourcing, providing transparency into how projects are prioritized given Mercy Corps’ level of investment in the digital space.
- Advises stakeholders on website best practices, arranging user training for self-publishing on mercycorps.org when appropriate.
- Evaluates technology stack and develops long-term plan to ensure that technologies used to keep mercycorps.org running are able to meet organizational needs, that reliance on older technologies or services that have a higher risk of deprecation is minimized, and that needs for investment and risks of underinvesting are clearly communicated to leadership.
- Manages the staff and budget that supports technical website operations, leading a team of digital experts who design, develop the activities carries out on Mercy Corps’ digital properties.
- Coordinate and prioritize incoming requests relates to mercycorps.org from other teams.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with Resource Development, Strategy & Learning team, HR, Finance, Program teams and other stakeholders.
- Develops governance standards for mercycorps.org and social media channels in collaboration with key stakeholders such as RD leadership, IT, Marcomms, Digital Fundraising and Programs and works with them to put in place a clear process for domain and microsite requests and management that take into account overall online presence, search engine optimization, and reputation of the organization.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Web Developer, UX Design, Digital Content Manager and Social Media Manager
Reports Directly To: Senior Director, Brand/Marketing
Works Directly With: Brand and Communications teams: Mass Market Fundraising team; Development Operations; Corporations & Foundations team; other Resource Development and IT teams as needed, as well as stakeholders across other areas of the organization.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA or BS degree.
- 5+ years in digital campaign management, content or digital operations management.
- 5+ years in leading and managing cross functional teams, with strong experience managing 4+ direct reports.
- Deep hands-on understanding of digital campaigns, multi-channel digital marketing, and technology requirements gathering.
- Experience with content management systems, SEO, digital sales funnel, HTML.
- Expertise in digital strategy, web development/implementation, information architecture, web-based technology.
- 2 years experience developing user experience solutions with agile methodology.
- Experience in social media strategies and community management.
- Strong analytical abilities, with 3+ years of experience using online analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Omniture Site Catalyst as well as strong experience conceptualizing and executing digital testing.
- Strong project management skills, with demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and vendors.
- Extensive experience partnering with diverse stakeholders in a heavily matrixed organization.
- Very strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Facility in translating organizational business needs into digital strategies that focus on end user experience.
- Understanding and ability to keep up with the pace of working in a global organization and digital environment.
Excellence in building a bridge between the overarching content strategy and the digital strategy. Ability to create a dynamic and engaging digital experience for users that advances organizational goals, including driving deeper engagement and donor conversion. Demonstrable ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders to identify strategic opportunities and build organizational agreement and support for strategies. Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Excellent people skills and ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with colleagues at all levels in the organization. Strong understanding of the digital technology stack necessary to support the organization’s objectives for online public-facing communications and marketing. Strong experience evaluating and selecting technology tools to meet business needs. Ability to negotiate scope and schedules with internal partners according to capabilities, workloads and timelines. Functions with urgency and is able to perform well under deadlines and pressures, particularly in the face of global emergencies.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Portland, Oregon. Some evenings/weekends required during emergency responses. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.