Doctors of the World - Greece
Attica, Larissa, Kavala, Drama, Ioannina
Description of the Organisation:
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 46 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
MdM Greece has been active in Greece for 25 years, developing quality of care , improving access and advocating for the right to health for all people. It also thrives to promote good management of the health facilities it supports.
Responsibilities and tasks:
· Interpretation (listening, understanding and memorizing content in Arabic or Farsi, or in Kurdish, then reproducing statements, questions and speeches in Greek or English) for refugees in camps where Doctors of the World are active
· Translation of documents and material from English or Greek to Arabic, Farsi etc and vise versa
· Telephone and personal contact with refugees for facilitating medical appointments in coordination with the social worker/s
· Translation of documents and information material as needed
· Escort beneficiaries to health care facilities and other state and non state agents after communication with team members (i.e. field co, social worker)
· Perform other duties as required for the successful implementation of the project
· Work according to the Professional Code of Conduct, respecting confidentiality and impartiality as well as best practices of DOTW for interpretation
· Education: secondary education certificate (compulsory), relatively specialized departments in interpreting / linguistics will be taken into consideration
· Training in interpreting, translation, linguistics
· Languages: Excellent knowledge of Greek (written and oral) and Farsi or Arabic or Kurdish. Knowledge of English will be taken into account
· Flexibility and working ability under stress
· Previous experience with NGOs and / or work experience with refugees or immigrants is an asset
· Basic knowledge of computer use. (eg word processing, Internet, etc.)
This vacancy is archived.