Consultancy Job Description
Job Title: Behaviour Change Communications (BCC) Programme Manager (Consultant)
Duration of contract: Six (6) months with possibility of extension
Location: Position based in N’Djamena, Chad and hosted at the Chad Guinea worm eradication programme office at The Carter Center, with frequent travel to the field
At KYNE, we cultivate ideas, insights, and influencers, to improve lives. At our core, we are a health communications consultancy. In reality we are much more. We are in the business of helping solve unmet health needs. We act as catalysts, helping address health issues by aligning the right partners and implementing genuine solutions.
KYNE creates health communications programs that achieve real change, leveraging our skills, expertise and drive to break down barriers. Whether it’s reducing tobacco use, ending preventable deaths from infectious diseases, or raising awareness about a critical issue, we craft communications programs and partnerships with the power to make a difference.
In 2016, KYNE started a collaboration with The Carter Center (TCC) to design and implement a behaviour change communication (BCC) programme in support of Guinea worm disease (GWD) eradication. This BCC programme promotes GWD preventive measures, as well as a cash reward to enhance surveillance for cases in the remaining four endemic countries: Chad, Ethiopia, Mali and South Sudan.
The Guinea Worm Eradication Programs (GWEP) in the four remaining endemic countries are responsible for overseeing the eradication program in country, and the successful post-holders will be integrated into this structure.
The BCC Programme Manager will be responsible for a successful national roll-out of Chad GWEP’s GWD BCC campaign, “Le Héros du Ver de Guinée” (or “The Guinea Worm Hero”). This includes designing a strategic implementation plan utilizing the various communications campaign tools (i.e., posters, radio spot, song, music video, social drama) and overseeing effective dissemination. The BCC Programme Manager will also work with KYNE’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Manager and the Ministry of Public Health, through GWEP, to lead on data collection for M&E purposes ensuring that data is collected, collated and delivered in a timely manner, in accordance with agreed milestones.
The post holder will build excellent rapport and effectively manage relationships with in-country stakeholders, including GWEP’s National Program Coordinator and TCC’s Country Representative.
Together with KYNE staff in Europe and the USA, the BCC Programme Manager will form part of a global team. He/she will also effectively communicate progress about the campaign progress to the rest of the KYNE team, and flag any areas of concern immediately.
These are dynamic roles, and the post holders will be expected to be both proactive and reactive, according to changing country contexts. This role will report directly to KYNE’s Associate Director, Public Health and will be responsible for providing reports to the Country Representative of TCC and the Co-ordinator of the GWEP.
Essential Job Functions and Key Areas of Accountability
· Serve as primary contact in Chad for “Le Héros du ver de Guinée,” campaign including serving as liaison between national stakeholders/colleagues and KYNE team
· Maintain good communication with national stakeholders and respond promptly to their requests
· Ensure effective coordination and buy-in from national stakeholders for campaign roll-out · Assist, if necessary, in the recruitment of contractors, based on a screening test in agreement with the National Coordinator of the PNEVG and TCC Country Representative
· Identify and nurture partnerships and collaborations that will result in broader reach for the campaign
· Make key recommendations to KYNE team to improve programme implementation, in accordance with stakeholder input
· Liaise with TCC Chad office on local procurement and other services as part of the implementation of KYNE's activities in Chad
· Identify media outlets, print houses, radio stations etc. for campaign material dissemination, and build good working relationships to ensure successful delivery of the campaign assets
· Oversee and ensure logistical arrangements for the distribution of campaign materials, including in-country storage and transportation
· Partner with in-country stakeholders to identify BCC and campaign training needs; facilitate training workshop(s) accordingly
· Partner with M&E Manager to lead on data collection in Chad, including recruitment and training of research assistants (as applicable), and designing and implementing focus group discussions to regularly measure effectiveness of campaign materials
· Based on ongoing M&E, oversee adaptations and updates to campaign materials, to ensure they continue to resonate with target audiences and reflect changes to GWD epidemiology
· Host regular review meeting(s) with stakeholders to align on planning and progress
· Build excellent rapport with in-country stakeholders related to the GWD eradication initiative
· Act as ambassador of KYNE while in-country, supporting GWD eradication efforts
· Foster a team spirit between different stakeholders involved in the eradication efforts in Chad
Qualifications and Experience:
· MPH, MSc Public Health, Health Promotion, or other development related fields
· Expertise in public health communications, specifically BCC
· Minimum 5 years working in an African country, preferably on BCC related programming
· Experience of programme management and ability to demonstrate strategic thinking for health outcomes
· Experience of negotiating and working in partnership with government for health outcomes
· Experience of conducting both qualitative or quantitative research and analysis of data sets
· Experience of managing small to mid-size teams for public health objectives
· Strong background in participatory methods for training and capacity building
· Ability to problem solve in challenging environments
· Bilingual: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both French and English; local language skills are an asset
· Willingness to travel within the country, frequently, to remote areas
This vacancy is archived.