Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Afghanistan Resident Mission (AFRM) of the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). Afghanistan is a founding member of ADB. ADB supports the country's development in the transport, energy, natural resources, and economic management sectors. Cumulative lending to Afghanistan totals almost $4.7 billion, and approved grants in 2016 totaled $550 million. The position is within the Programming and Economic Unit, which manages the forward program of assistance, conducts country level economic analysis, coordinates regional programs and manages cofinancing and partnerships.
To view the ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Project Officer actively contributes to the Resident Mission (RM) in handling loan/Technical Assistance (TA) processing and administration, portfolio management, sector work, and other general sector activities, covering public and private sector operations, with focus on assigned sector(s). Independently processes and administers assigned loans, grants, TAs, cofinanced funds, etc., and support the day-to-day management and administration of the Afghanistan Infrastructure Trust Fund (AITF). The incumbent will report to the designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
- Provides support to fact-finding and appraisal missions, including but not limited to review of technical designs and cost estimates, provide input to the design and processing of projects, liaison with various stakeholders, data and project costing, procurement packaging and related technical and administrative issues.
- Where assigned to assume the lead role in the processing and administration of specific loans/grants and TAs, actively takes initiatives and responsibilities to engage with RMs, Headquarters and field offices of ADB, government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loans/grants and TA projects.
- Prepares internal procurement papers, review of procurement documents including draft technical designs and cost estimates, and papers for extension of loan closing dates, reallocation of loan proceeds, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, and other project administration tasks.
- Prepare and/or assist in the preparation of Project Completion Reports and TA completion Reports as assigned. Supports or participates in Project Review or Country Portfolio Review missions as a mission member when required.
- Maintains close cooperation with other international partner agencies and undertakes meetings and consultations with them, especially in areas relating to donor coordination and harmonization in sector work.
- Contributes to sector work in the field by assisting in conducting research, updating information on the assigned sector, analyzing financial, institutional or economics uses, and preparing reports on the subjects.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge base of future Government investment plans and approval processes, organizational structure and policies relevant to the assigned sectors.
- Act as a National Focal Point for AITF - responsibilities include but not limited to coordinate AITF matters with government counterparts and Contributors to the fund. Provide support to the AITF Manager in running the day-to-day operations of the fund, responsibilities include but not limited to: i) Perform accounting of the funds (e.g. review and reconcile financials on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis - and, prepare ad-hoc reports as required); ii) Provide solutions to administrative matters related to the fund; iii) Prepare and issue timely AITF progress reports on a quarterly and annual basis, and iv) Coordinate meetings, respond to stakeholders' information requests, and etc.
- Helps to organize, contributes to, supports, and participates in meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops. Organizes and conducts training workshops for EAs in areas relating to procurement and project administration/management.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent's work plan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in civil, transport, mechanical engineering or related disciplines, preferably with Master's Degree in Business Administration/Finance/Accounting or equivalent. (Equivalent experience will be considered)
- Extensive experience in report writing (in English Language), specifically Business Report Writing, is necessary
- Trust Fund Management and Accounting Experience is desirable
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience, 4 years of which in management and implementation of large infrastructure projects
- Detailed-oriented, meticulous, and good with figures/numbers/data and proactive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Experience in applying expertise in an international setting.
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1-4
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of three years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
The vacancy is for a local position with a local remuneration package. It is open only to nationals and residents of Afghanistan.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.