Working under the authority of the Programme Director of Expertise France for Iraq, and with support from the Administrative and Finance Coordinator in headquarters, the Support Services Coordinator will offer overall direction and management of support services in EF Iraq.
Overall purpose of the role: The SSC will ensure the existence of effective and efficient support services in the areas of finance, administration, human resources, procurement and logistics. He/She will play a key role in developing and implementing country specific strategies as well as devising, implementing and improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of EF’s programme in Iraq, in line with EF operational standards and procedures.
In link with the Finance Officer
- Ensure financial regulations, procedures and documentation requirements are adhered to in EF programme in Iraq and North-East Syria.
- Provide overall financial planning support to Programme Director, advise on spending and financial spending strategies, provide accurate financial outlook of the programs on a regular basis.
- Provide inputs to budget development and guidance on overall financial management support to the budget holders.
- Constantly check the integrity and robustness of financial procedures, possible mismanagement and suggest corrective actions to minimise losses.
- Constantly train and groom finance staff to develop capacity in the EF office.
- Regulation and monitoring of the overall spending in the programme, cost sharing and administrative cooperation between projects and personnel.
- Reviewing of timely and accurate financial and administrative reporting to external parties, and to the headquarters.
- Management of transparent and effective interaction with banks and other financial institutions, and agreements with authorities favourable to EF and its beneficiaries.
- Monitoring and regulating the movement of cash, liquidity management, the bank transactions and transfers, and the other personnel involved, beyond the set of internal controls.
- Ensure that all necessary agreements, permits and licenses necessary for EF‘s operations (including VAT exemption when applicable) are in place and keep updated on national Administrative rules and regulations pertaining to the activities of EF.
- Support initial process to establish an EF office in Erbil and register EF both in Federal Iraq and in KRG, in close coordination the French Embassy in Bagdad;
- Administrative leadership over effective implementation of the fundraising strategy and the relevant parts of the country strategy, ensuring procedural and system compliance, and paving way to organisational growth.
- Support the induction of new team members (paperwork, preparation of work stations, setting up of IT equipment, provision of office supplies etc)
- Ensure international staff visas are in place and followed up through correct processes
- Ensure mandatory government reporting is submitted and audit requirements are followed up (if applicable)
- Manage EF’s relationship with local legal advisors
- Ensuring an honest, timely and quality delivery of administrative and financial operations and services at all levels of organisation hierarchy, through sound recruitment, firm internal controls and reporting, solid coordination between projects and personnel, and internal audits.
- Facilitation of continued learning and improvement through training, coaching, and communication amongst personnel,
- Ensure that effective HR policies are in place and implemented.
- Ensure a sound HR and payroll management system is in place.
- Manage all aspects of HR leave and travel (including the expatriates).
- Ensuring that agreed measures for safety and security are in place and adhered to by all staff, in link with the Programme Director
Logistics and Procurement (20%) In link with the Logistics Officer
- Provide supervision to procurement and logistics inclusive of related information management and maintenance, requests for quotations, quality control and ensuring the set of procedures are followed.
- Supervise procurement and logistics personnel and ensuring logistics team’s close cooperation with the departments for admin/finances and program operations.
- Monitoring procurement procedures and ensuring that items are accounted for and quality/quantity controlled in stock reports and asset inventory management system.
- Providing support to the Logistics Officer in timely management and updating of all logistics reports and information as required by the Agency.
- Standardisation of all service contracts.
- Ensure proper guidance to the Logistics Officer in vehicle/fleet management.
- Manage and implement Information Technology systems.
- Maintain a network with other organisation on logistics, finance, HR and administration-related topics and ensure a proactive communication with all relevant stakeholders.
- Share and coordinate administration and finance related information with the Programme Director and other staff and attend any relevant internal coordination meetings.
- Liaise with donors and government officials, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration and audit.
- Ensure timely communication with HQ, Programme Director, Project Officers and services of the French Embassy in Iraq concerning all issues related to finance, administration, HR, procurement and logistics.
Project or context description
Expertise France started up operations in Iraq in January 2019, through its country office located in Erbil (KRG).
With financial support from the French MoFa and in partnership with the Ministry of Higher Education and the Ministry of Health, EF started implementing a first project to support the recovery of the Universities of Mosul and Ninewa. This 12-month project is implemented through a three-fold approach:
- capacity-building to the career centres of both universities to improve their students counselling services and foster their economic inclusion,
- a grant scheme to support students’ initiatives in the fields of academics, promotion of citizenship, entrepreneurship and/or restoration of the heritage in Old Mosul,
- the development of a University Degree in Clinical Psychology to expand the educational offer within the University of Ninewa whilst supporting the mental health sector in Ninewa.
By participating in the revitalisation of the Mosul University and Ninewa University campus, which counts as the second-largest university cluster in the country with more than 48,000 students, this project helps restarting an essential public service for Mosul youth and complements ongoing recovery efforts that already begun around the universities.
Expertise France will initiate a second project aiming at promoting civic engagement, employment and entrepreneurship for youth in Iraq. This 24-month project will be implemented through 3 components:
- support to students of Mosul and Ninewa universities: Students of Mosul and Ninewa Universities have access to more efficient career guidance services and to concrete opportunities for professional work experience, employment, and civic engagement (Mosul)
- youth civic engagement: Iraqi CSO are empowered to engage youth in community service projects and fostering dialogue with local authorities (Ninewa governorate)
- youth entrepreneurship: Youth entrepreneurship is encouraged through a network of accessible business incubators/accelerators programs for enterprises throughout the country (Baghdad, Mosul, Suleymanieh).
Through this program, EF will promote opportunities for Iraqi youth to constructively engage in addressing social problems within their communities by creating a strategic link between local NGO, Mosul University Career Centers and local business incubators. Promoting youth engagement in local civil society and fostering dialogues with local authorities, the project will enable youth to better engage local decision-makers to meet their expectations and reinforce the bond of trust between government and population. Revitalising academic, social, and cultural life on the campus of the University of Mosul, the project will help restore the universities’ central role in producing knowledge and sharing ideas locally and nationally. By fostering job creation and providing livelihoods for young people in Baghdad, Mosul and KRG, the project will contribute to redress the impact of the current crisis.
- Relevant University degree in Finance, Procurement or Administration studies
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in HR/Administration/Procurement in UN/INGO or other international agencies and in operational systems management in humanitarian/stabilisation set up, including demonstrated ability to set up operational systems in a new and growing programme.
- Good knowledge of donor procedures required is an asset (French MoFA/AFD, EU, DFID, JICA, etc)
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with team members and with multiple stakeholders at various levels from national to sub-national and community levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in highly stressful situations.
- Excellent communication skills ability to adapt to a diverse multicultural environment.
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent command of English (oral and written). Knowledge of French, Arabic, Kurdish would be an asset.
- Previous experience work experience in Iraq/Middle East.in an administrative capacity and knowledge of the legal framework for international agencies would be an asset.