UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Building on over fifteen years of experience in the area of women, peace and security, including conflict prevention and resolution, peacebuilding, security sector reform and access to justice, UN Women Asia Pacific Regional Office has been working to ensure a gender-sensitive and gender-responsive approach to understanding and preventing violent extremism at the regional level. UN Women’s approach to preventing radicalization and violent extremism is firmly based on the empowerment of women to build resilient, cohesive and peaceful communities – with particular attention to those that are most marginalized and in particularly vulnerable situations.
Taking especially into consideration the growing threat of violent extremism in Asia and the Pacific, including the increasing trend of domestic violent incidents, UN Women with the support of the government of Japan is seeking to expand its efforts in the area of prevention of radicalization and violent extremism through empowered women’s influence in building resilient communities, with regional components and particular country focus in Indonesia.
Under the overall guidance of Country Representative and a close supervision of the Programme Specialist, Women, Peace and Security (P4), the National Project Officer will support national implementation of relevant project-based initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support coordination and implementation at the country level of project-based initiatives
- Support timely delivery through overall project monitoring and financial management
- Strategic partnership and capacity building of key national stakeholders, counterparts and partners
Support coordination and implementation at the country level project-based initiatives
- Timely and quality planning and implementation of project-based initiatives, taking responsibility for the overall daily management and delivery of project outputs
- Effective application of result-based management tools, providing guidance to partners on establishment of performance indicators, and monitoring achievement of results
- Provision of technical inputs, review and analysis of reports and other relevant materials on women, peace and security to UN Women HQ and/or Regional Office, governments and donors
Support timely delivery through overall project monitoring and financial management
- Support the management of budgets, finance, administration and procurement-related matters and functions in accordance with UN/UN Women rules and regulations
- Monitor, analyse and evaluate technical and financial reports from partners, providing regular substantive and management support to resolve any challenges and ensure timely and quality delivery
- Engage in regular field visits and closely liaise with UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, as needed, to facilitate the achievement of the above tasks
Strategic partnership and capacity building of key national stakeholders, counterparts and partners
- Facilitate consultation with stakeholders for strategic selection of programme activities and partners based on the results framework of the programmes and projects, national priorities, partner capacity assessments
- Development of partnerships with UN agencies, government institutions, and civil society programme/project implementation and other stakeholders
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key partner stakeholders
- Support the capacity-building of national counterparts and programme partners in developing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on evidence-based policy/programming
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women
- Displays sensitivity and fairness in regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, and disability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more thematic areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm and in control even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in Conflict and Peace Studies, Gender and Development, International Relations, Public Administration, Law, Human Rights or equivalent in relevant fields of Social Science with minimum 3 years of relevant experience in implementation of projects related to women’s empowerment at the country level.
- Hands on experience in designing, implementing and monitoring projects at the national level. Specific experience in the areas of women peace and security, prevention of radicalization or extremism with women’s empowerment element is a distinctive advantage.
- Experience in organizing multi-stakeholder meetings and coordinating with a wide range of stakeholders, including government, civil society and non-governmental organisations, women groups, faith based organisations and local communities. Experience in preparing background documents, agenda and talking points for such meetings.
- Good knowledge of policies and programmes and government related policies and instruments related to countering violent extremism/terrorism.
- Familiarity of civil society organizations and networks at the national level working to promote women’s empowerment.
- Familiarity of civil society organizations and networks at the national level working on preventing violent extremism is a strong advantage.
- Familiarity with the United Nations system and its coordination mechanism would be an advantage.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including an ability to prepare succinct analytical documents and briefs in English.
APPLICANT MUST COMPLETE P11 FORM AND SUBMIT AS PART OF THEIR APPLICATION .?Click here to download the form?http://bit.ly/P11SC
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.? We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Indonesia at the same grade level and with a similar job description, experience, and education requirements.
Good written and communication skills in English and fluency of national language of duty station
Position Number in ATLAS 00127658